Please Help Me! Glendale AZ

luckitri

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Someone has complained about my chickens and the city is forcing me to get rid of them! I wanted them because I love them and I need the eggs for my liver disease. I harvest the poop and feathers. Don't know what to do with the feathers yet. They don't smell because of my harvesting the poop. I am disabled on fixed income and with this great depression coming I wanted the eggs for my family (and for my liver disease.) We spent alot of my big disability check on building a pen for these girls. I don't have time to scroll through all this talking here - please help me!

Well there are two stores that sell them. There are places in town where it is legal but not where I live. I wanted the fresh eggs for my liver disease - need extra protein and need clean protein. My dogs love the chickens. They make us laugh. I am harvesting their poop for when I have a garden. We got a nasty new neighbor. Their dogs kept the whole neighborhood up all night. My husband took it to them - not to the law. They retaliated. None of the other neighbors were having a problem. They knew about the chickens. The agent for the city that I spoke with made it sound so unrealistically difficult to change the law. He agreed with all my points. I am disabled. I am sick. I am waiting for a surgery in the next few days. I am fighting to keep my disability since my former employer says they paid it to me erroneously and that I am criminal for not knowing that. (They are not paying me what the contract or the law states but they want to take the pittance they are paying me.) So I have enough battles and I could really use some help with this one.

I tried but could not understand the city's website regarding zoning and ordinances.

Last edited:
Please! Is there anybody in my area interested in changing the laws together - strength in numbers? Is there anybody here that can tell me how to do it?

We don't live in your area. You have to find the local laws and/or petition your city council or zoning people.

Luckitri

Sorry, I've been away from the Computer.

Have you contacted the local Cooperative Extension people?

They usually know a little, but have access, AND clout with, public officials.

Start there.

Secondly, there may be several AZ forum members who don't check this part of the forum. Try the "Where am I? Where are you" forum, and start typing!

Hi,
I live in Glendale, AZ. According to the city code, chickens are legal here:
"The raising of poultry is permitted provided they are contained within a fence or cage. Male fowl shall not be permitted within five hundred (500) feet of any residence or living space, including pool or patio, on an adjacent suburban residential, urban residential, or multiple residential zoned lot."
http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=13944&sid=3

Why do you think they are not legal where you live? Did a neighbor tell you this? Do you live in a neighborhood with a homeowner's association? Are your chickens running loose without a cage/run? Let me know your situation and maybe we can figure out out to fix it (if fixable).

Edited to add:
I gave you the wrong quote above (it was for 'rural residential') This is the code for 'suburban residential':
5.212 "The raising of poultry with the exception of male fowl, is permitted provided they are contained within a fence or cage."

The difference being that no roosters are allowed here in the city.

Last edited:
I see someone gave you the answer but I will tell you that if you live where there is a homeowners association then you may not be able to have them. The have CC&R's against farm animals including chickens.
But I have 2 different friends in Glendale who have chickens. They are just not allowed to have roos. Someone may be giving you a bunch of noise just so you will get rid of your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom