Please help me help my brahma’s foot

Yup. The others are correct. Frostbite. The poor guy will likely lose all of that blackened foot and the black shriveled toes on the other. Chickens' immune systems wall off dead tissue that serious frostbite causes so infection can't travel to the rest of the body, blood supply is cut off, the tissue dies the rest of the way, dries up and falls off.

He should adapt to the missing toes and he'll use the stump of the other leg to balance when he walks or runs. He'll likely be just fine after he's finished healing.

That foot is completely dead. It's going to fall off. He can adjust to having just the one leg, but he'll likely need help getting around in the beginning and you'll need to keep him away from the other birds while he learns. Get him on antibiotics and keep an eye on the other
Yup. The others are correct. Frostbite. The poor guy will likely lose all of that blackened foot and the black shriveled toes on the other. Chickens' immune systems wall off dead tissue that serious frostbite causes so infection can't travel to the rest of the body, blood supply is cut off, the tissue dies the rest of the way, dries up and falls off.

He should adapt to the missing toes and he'll use the stump of the other leg to balance when he walks or runs. He'll likely be just fine after he's finished healing.

Thank you everybody for helping me. And yes I checked all of my other birds and none of them had anything to worry about and I know y’all said he’d be fine with the stump but any ideas on actually making him another leg if I could ? Would that work

Thank you everybody for helping me. And yes I checked all of my other birds and none of them had anything to worry about and I know y’all said he’d be fine with the stump but any ideas on actually making him another leg if I could ? Would that work
A chicken prosthetic! :D I definitely think its possible. Might take some trial and error. Hope this guy feels better soon!

I've seen a few people 3d print the whole foot for a chicken so I don't see why you couldn't do a leg! You could also try and make one from plastic, wood, etc. Just needs to be comfortable and safe for him.

I wouldn't even bother. He's going to get along better than you think with his stump. You won't even be aware he has no foot, he'll be able to function nearly normally.

Back
Top Bottom