Please help me identify Rodney's breed

Quote:
Yes, you can eat fertile eggs. Treat them just like any other egg. I STILL have eggs in my fridge 3 months after they've been laid and they STILL taste awesome.

I've left eggs on the counter and thought "Crud...I need to put those in the fridge." Only to leave them out another few days....so. After a week, I'll put them in the fridge and they're perfectly fine. I usually throw them out when they start smelling...LOL

awesome cool, good to know, that's what i though
big_smile.png

this is too much fun. he comes out right up to the run and just stares while puffing up his feathers. too funny!

i just sat out there for a half hour watching them. forgot to bring the camera. woops.

fertilized eggs have 1 cell more then infertile eggs do,, thats it,, and they will NOT start to "grow" till they reach around 95 degrees,, so their just fine in the nest all day, and wont get warm till the hen goes broody and sits on them, so you can go out in the morning and look for an egg, if none, wait till dinna time,, and the eggs taste just like infertile eggs do. ,, and that first egg already means that their "comfy" and feel at home,,, but dont worry if they take a break for a few days,, its normal when they get moved. and if i was you, i'd keep the hens in the coop tonight, leave the run door open, and tomorrow, go out and close the door on him
wink.png
,, tie a string to the door so you can pull it shut before he sees ya commin hehehe
big_smile.png

and dude,,, there is NO dumb questions,, the only thing dumb,, is NOT asking
wink.png

has anyone else had problems with their hens not knowing what to do on their first sundown in the coop? the little dark one kept trying to roost on the top middle run support. but the chicken wire stopped it every time. it'd climb halfway onto the ramp and jump flapping like mad. the barred rock ended up IN the doorway, half on the ramp half in the coop. which forced the little one to be outside on the top of the ramp.

so i walked in the run and looked at the barred rock and said "you selfish girl" and put her in the coop. then i picked up the little dark one (with a tiny vocal objection from her) and put her in the coop. they just stayed right where i put them on the pine shavings.

will they figure out they should spend the nights in the coop soon? should i leave them in the coop and run till they do for 2 nights in a row or so? they know how to use the ramp. heck, one laid an egg the night before. strange.

and... a pic of them hanging out
ladies11-15-08.jpg

Last edited:
HAHA! Yes, I usually have to put my birds to bed manually (placing them into the coop) for 3 nights. Then they start to take over. It works like clockwork...LOL.

Once they realize they are safe in there, they will go in there on their own!

well i guess they don't like me doing it then!
lau.gif

i had to work 8am to 5pm today so i didn't get a chance to spend time with them. i checked their food and water in the morning and everything was great. they were milling about at 7 am already.

so i get home about 15 min ago and went to check on the ladies. well i didn't see them. the sun wasn't completely down yet. of coarse i automatically think OH CRAP someone STOLE them!!!!! then i look in one of the side vent widows and see them both on their perch!!!

GLEE!
clap.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

SO HAPPY YAY! they did it all by themselves!

so here's a pic (of coarse) of my fine little ladies' first roost!

firstroost.jpg

this makes up for not getting to watch my roo go gaga for a day lol.

tomorrow i gotta work 6am till 6pm ug!

Last edited:
hehehee,,, good for them,,, and you
wink.png

you shouldnt have to worry bout water and food, get a feeder and waterer , fill up in morning, and should be plenty for them for the day,, if not longer in emergencies
wink.png

did they leave ya a surprise egg again? lol.

i didn't check for an egg as the door panel in the back open it up more than just the nest box. didn't want them not feeling secure on their first roost night.

they do have a waterer and feeder. it's been 2 days and the waterer isn't even half empty yet (1 gallon) and the feed thingy i only filled a little bit so i check it oftern. but yeah i have them both already
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom