Please help me identify Rodney's breed

yeah i would love to find some hens sooner than march, but then i'd feel bad about not buying from the other lady. She's not down the road but about 45 min drive away. so can't really borrow a hen that easy. If that was the case that'd be great.

Yeah i figure he's about 1.5 years old from my researching. Since he seems to be molting will i find his cool feathers laying around? I'd like to use them in something as they have neat metallic shines to them!

tomorrow the coop/run should be finished. all i have to do is staple in the mesh and put int the hook/loop things to attach the run to the coop and that's it! then it's dupe rodney into his new home time!
big_smile.png

ANTICA.............. PATION!

by the way did i ever mention how great this forum is? i'm learning a ton so fast here! never though chickens and roosters were so fascinating!

Last edited:
The white feathers at the base of the tail are normal. I was told by a friend that breeds games that this is the sign of a healthy roo! My Charlie has the same thing, and it had me worried.

the white i'm talking about is the on feathers around his neck. i was told that he's about to molt and also his comb will look pale which it does.

Last edited:
finished his coop and run! it's set up with food in it and water, and bedding. i made a trail of scratch to the open door then a bunch more inside.

i tried to get him to come out and see if he'd come closer and go where i threw food. he's been doing that the last couple days. but not today. maybe it's too close to sundown (5pm) or he's just not hungry.

i got impatient and walk into his roost area to get him out. he came out. i decided i was going to try to chase him into the run. bad idea. he freak and ran and found out he can easily jump a 4 foot chain link fence. he flew into the neighbors yard freaking them out (old spanish lady) and their tiny dog chased it the it leaped the fence area behind my shed and i think he's in there now under it. where he's been sleeping away from cats. so i guess he does feel like my yard is his territory or something since he went right back there

so lesson learned! let him go in there by himself and catch him on the off chance. or find some hens faster and put them in there on a tether.

hope he's not all afraid of me now =/

here's two pics of the coop/run

human view:
cooprunhumanveiw.jpg

Rooster view:
cooprunchickveiw.jpg

uploading a video also. i'll post it when it's finished.
smile.png

anyway, uploading pics and a video. as soon as that's done i'll post them here
smile.png

Last edited:
as promised here's the video
big_smile.png

also, just found someone who has several different type of chickens and in the same city also. here's their response.

"please email your number, my computer is slow.

we have several types of chickens $20.00 each and roosters $10.00 each.
buff orpingtons, barred rocks, sexlinks, and more."

which would you pic? there's more too!!!!!!

i LOVE how the barred rocks look!
maybemixi t up and get two different breeds?
is $20 too much? I can get 18 week old RIR for $7 each but i'd have to wait till march.

this is so much fun

These things sure make one POWERFUL itch!

Last edited:
NICE WORK!!! ,, hehe love the rooster view lol.
i dont know what hens usually go for there,, but 20 bucks sounds alot, but their actually worth what you'll pay for them,, and to tell ya the truth, if them are all you can find,, it would be worth 20 bucks for me to get him a girl
wink.png

i'll watch the video here in a minute when i get a sec
wink.png

but really,,good work on the coop & run
wink.png

The coop looks GREAT! Just get some hens, any type! but do it quick, now that you may have startled him. get them in the coop, and leave them in for a few days, he will glue himself to the outside. After a few days, when you know the ladies will put themselves to bed at night, open the door and let them out, there will be scuffling and excitement, and he will make a mess of it, but they will retun to the coop when they have had enuff of his nonsense, and take him with them!!

You appear to be clever with building, put a long string on an eye hook and thread it to a window, so you can watch, and once they have gone in, you can close the coop. Probably wont be neccesary, but if it makes you feel better to have an active role, rather than watching, well, there ya go!!

Good Luck to you, and welcome to the wacky world of chickens!!

chickenpiedpiper:

LOL at the string through a window thing as i was thinking the same exact thing yesterday!

if i get an email or call back from someone i found the $20 chickens from i might get 1 now and another next week (moneys low after building the coop lol)

hope i didn't startle him too bad but i can't wait to see him go gaga over some hens.

Back
Top Bottom