Please help me kill this ermine-nothing is working!

Can you edit the photo and circle where you think the second one is? I don't see it.
Not with my phone... sorry. I did zoom in though, and I'm probably wrong. It just looks vaguely like another weasel's face. One would think you would see glowing eyes if another was back there, but who knows?

Ok... I gotta ask... for those suggesting shooting it... how do you manage to shoot such a small critter in a building without wrecking stuff, and without risking injury due to ricochet?

I have nothing against guns... I have many... I guess I might attempt it with a pellet gun as some suggested... but I don’t own one of those.... 410s and 22s seem risky unless you catch it out in the open... which seems unlikely for a weasel.

And I’m not asking to be contrary... I’m just puzzled... maybe because my brother and I once shot holes in the barn roof when we were shooting a screech owl that was killing our young birds when we were kids... but the idea of shooting a weasel in a coop seems tricky.

Ok... I gotta ask... for those suggesting shooting it... how do you manage to shoot such a small critter in a building without wrecking stuff, and without risking injury due to ricochet?

I have nothing against guns... I have many... I guess I might attempt it with a pellet gun as some suggested... but I don’t own one of those.... 410s and 22s seem risky unless you catch it out in the open... which seems unlikely for a weasel.

And I’m not asking to be contrary... I’m just puzzled... maybe because my brother and I once shot holes in the barn roof when we were shooting a screech owl that was killing our young birds when we were kids... but the idea of shooting a weasel in a coop seems tricky.

It’s not in the coop... it’s trying to get in again, and we’re not talking hunting rifles, but scatter shots like snake shot or bird shot that sort of spray, with more of an AOE type damage (yes I’m a gamer)... at least that’s what my understanding of the “shoot the little bugger” area of the discussion has been at. Of course, if it will stay put long enough, get the little monster with whatever you can, shovel, gun, rake, axe... (there’s a fun thought... madly chasing the weasel with an axe!) but this one seems wise to the traps and not brazen enough for death by shovel.

Only a pellet rifle is feasible inside a house. Even when I shot rats inside with a pellet gun I had to block them in one room and wait until they poked their heads out from behind the fridge or something before I shot, because they were too fast running down the hall. That picture above of a weasel poking out his head would have been a perfect shot. Mine was a Benjamin variable pump action, so I could control the power with the number of pumps.

I used to shoot rats in a barn with a 22LR. If you're careful with your shots, it's very safe.

Last edited:
Definitely something to consider...and a very real risk for those who don't know enough about firearms and the various ammunition available.

I'm state female pistol champion. :) As for others, collateral damage from small caliber shells or shot is easily repairable- and worth it if you get the stupid varmint that's been driving you mad!

I would Never try to shoot anything inside a coop or in a house... not that good a shot, especially with a fast moving small target. The little thing is now on the outside of the coop and trying to break in. Only reason I would consider a gun as an option. While it’s distracted trying to get in the now solidly meshed up window shoot it, and if you get a little damage to the outside of the coop you can always repaint and replace the mesh!

We’ve never used snake or bird shot in our 22, but I keep thinking if we did maybe we’d have better luck hitting the birds at lambing (they were really bad last year and my BIL is a horrible shot!). It might be easier to hit with the larger shot pattern is what I’m thinking for a novice, and seeing as it’s outside the coop and not particularly afraid of people.

We had a cat that survived to 20 here who had been shot with the 22, and some of the bullet was left in him. The visually impaired grandfather thought it was a coon, we don’t go around shooting cats on purpose, mind you but at least he hit his target. We use the 22 for goats and deer, sometimes the 303 for Billies. When the slaughterhouse was permitted to use a gun for cattle they used a 25/20 in an enclosed room about the size of a bedroom, but I wouldn’t recommend that and only the shooter was allowed in the room for fear of ricochet. So it can be done safely, if you’re a good shot, granted the cows stand still for you.

Hopefully the traps work very soon, seeing as a gun is apparently not a viable choice for the OP anyway. I just think it’s a valuable skill to have if you’re in the country.

Complete aside, forgive me, I’m getting my PAL (Possesion and Aquisition License) this year. Here it requires passing a firearms safety exam, providing current personal information, including current and former spouses contact info and several personal references (they ask these people about your mental state and if they think you may harm yourself or others). There is also a 45 day waiting period, and yes they do actually call the references! Your gun and ammo have to be stored in separate locking cases. It’s enough to make me want to take up bow hunting!

Back
Top Bottom