PLEASE HELP ME PRONOUNCE COURTNIX OR COTURNIX?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kryptoniteqhs, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    This has been driving me CRAZY!! [​IMG] Ive heard it pronounced several different ways....yes very new to this quail stuff......can someone give me the lowdown!? [​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Japenese Quail.... saves the embarrassment of either saying it wrong or someone else doing it too. [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Co- turn- ix I belive is the proper way. Around here me and everyone else pronounce it cort-nix.
    ETA: Am right monarc? Have I learned? LOL

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    hmmm so bf n i r both right then....ive been calling them coturnix and hes been call them cort-nix aye yie yie!

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    LOL yes you're right Brian and Kaylee!!!

CO TURN-IX basically said how it's spelled. The only thing is the "CO" is pronounced "KA" like "KA-TURN-ICKS" [​IMG]

6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:yay!!!
    well he just hatched out 20 or so of those yesterday, well those and button....i can pronounce button all by myself!!

7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    cu-turn-ix

cuturnix

coturnix

coturnix

sorry but this is what im doing by myself right now lol......

8. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    I also feel that it depends on what part of the country you are in. I've heard all kinds of different ways.

It is one of the few birds whose common name is actually its genus name, Coturnix (Anhinga is another). It is Latin for quail and from most of the reference material I have seen over the years in peer-reviewed journals, "kuh-tur-niks" seems to be the official way.

Another reason I feel that our domestic "Coturnix" are a blend of more than one species in the genus.

Dan

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yep from my research i agree with this completely. It's amazing they were crossed so much and still able to keep being fertile (im suprised they didn't go sterile). I'm also suprised that since so many subspecies were crossed (from my readings) that there isn't more colors [​IMG] LOL!

10. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I have always pronounced it Court-nix. I didn't notice it was actually spelled Coturnix [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by