Please help me sex my Barred Rock chick..

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
This is "Precious" She's just over 4 weeks now. What an amazing personality. I had no idea I'd meet a chicken like her. She comes running full speed to me and wants to jump on my hand. If I'm sitting, she'll jump into my knee or shoulder. These days she climbs onto my chest and I cuddle her and she just pushes against me. I can't believe it.

Can you tell if she's a pullet or not??

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

57573_img_0849.jpg

57573_img_0842.jpg

57573_img_1036.jpg

Yep. I agree with the rest of them that it's a pullet. I have two three week old barred rock cochins, and I can already tell one's a roo and one's a pullet. The roo already has red showing in his comb. My favorite chicken was a barred rock hen. She was like a family pet. She'd come when you'd call her, was as sweet as could be. Sadly, a hawk got her a couple years ago. I cried buckets. Sounds like you're having fun with Precious. She sounds like a terrific gal.

I have two three week old barred rock cochins

You mean barred Cochins, right?
wink.png
Rocks and Cochins are different breeds. You can sex BRs at hatch with 90% accuracy. Even if someone doesn't know how, the males get red combs early on and then it's pretty easy. BR girls don't get red combs until they are "teenagers".​

Welll.... When I got them at the feed store they gal said they were barred rocks. But, she also said my little orange ones were BOs... and it seems like maybe they are not. I don't know about Cochin. I hadn't heard that. Can you tell?

Quote:
wink.png
Rocks and Cochins are different breeds. You can sex BRs at hatch with 90% accuracy. Even if someone doesn't know how, the males get red combs early on and then it's pretty easy. BR girls don't get red combs until they are "teenagers".

Quote:
wink.png
Rocks and Cochins are different breeds. You can sex BRs at hatch with 90% accuracy. Even if someone doesn't know how, the males get red combs early on and then it's pretty easy. BR girls don't get red combs until they are "teenagers".

I know! My hens' combs didnt grow at all until the week before they started laying!

I have found that the "white on black" feathers are pullets and the "black on white" feathers are cockerals. if its more black its a lade, if its more white than its a dude! I have four of them - two pullets, two cockerels. The one pullet i names Henrietta is a sweetheart like yours is. they are so gentle and quiet. She looks at me like she is wondering what i am thinking. She runs at me to when i squat down for her too.We are all sick people arent we? LOLOLOL....

here's my 'boys' at 9 weeks.
58585_may222010_081.jpg

and one of each so that you can compare their colors. I hope this helps you!
58585_may222010_040.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom