Please help me SHELL-LESS eggs for 1 month

If an infection were to happen how would I tell? And how would I treat it? I’m giving her calcium and D3 pills (meant for humans) for 3-4 days. Does this sound like a good plan?
I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Signs of egg yolk peritonitis are somewhat similar to signs of an egg bound hen. You will likely notice leaking egg matter from the vent and a general overall sluggish bird. You will oftentimes find the bird has passed lash material, their abdomen may be swollen and warm indicating inflammation as well. It's generally treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I keep Baytril on hand and would use this, but this antibiotic isn't approved for use in laying hens. I've used it before because it's a strong broad spectrum antibiotic that works whenever many other antibiotics won't. If I use this, eggs are tossed for quite a while. EYP isn't always treatable and oftentimes comes back.

I give the Calcium + VitD3 everyday until the bird is laying normal nicely shelled eggs. At this point, I stop the tablets but, of course, always keep oyster shell and crushed eggshell available as a source of calcium. One of my hens will go through this occasionally. I start the Calcium+VitD3 immediately and continue as stated above.

Again, I apologize for the delay! I hope your bird starts laying nicely shelled eggs very soon.

One other thing I wanted to share with you. I can tell whenever my hen is starting to have problems. She spends a lot more time in the nesting box, obviously having a difficult time laying. I've also noticed that she seems almost panicky if she still hasn't had luck expelling the problematic egg by dark. Anytime she's like this at night, I bring her inside to sleep in a wire dog crate. She gets a calcium tab, some water, then up on her roost in the crate, and I'll cover the crate with towels to make sure it's dark so she doesn't have to worry about anything. By morning, I'll usually find a soft shelled egg and at times, a normal shelled egg as well. Since this last time, I am going to start keeping up with each day that she lays because I know that she is prone to these problems. It's a frustrating feeling whenever I can't remember when she laid last. She likes to really dig out the nest box and will end up with a cracked egg because it lands on the wood floor, and I'll trash her egg. I've got some mats to help this, but I still want to keep more notes on her.

I am so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Signs of egg yolk peritonitis are somewhat similar to signs of an egg bound hen. You will likely notice leaking egg matter from the vent and a general overall sluggish bird. You will oftentimes find the bird has passed lash material, their abdomen may be swollen and warm indicating inflammation as well. It's generally treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I keep Baytril on hand and would use this, but this antibiotic isn't approved for use in laying hens. I've used it before because it's a strong broad spectrum antibiotic that works whenever many other antibiotics won't. If I use this, eggs are tossed for quite a while. EYP isn't always treatable and oftentimes comes back.

I give the Calcium + VitD3 everyday until the bird is laying normal nicely shelled eggs. At this point, I stop the tablets but, of course, always keep oyster shell and crushed eggshell available as a source of calcium. One of my hens will go through this occasionally. I start the Calcium+VitD3 immediately and continue as stated above.

Again, I apologize for the delay! I hope your bird starts laying nicely shelled eggs very soon.
Today I saw some discharge in the vent it was white. Some feathers were sticky. Could this also be EDS or vent greet? I wil be traveling would it be a wise decision to give it to he farmer I bought it from for a while while I’m away?

Today I saw some discharge in the vent it was white. Some feathers were sticky. Could this also be EDS or vent greet? I wil be traveling would it be a wise decision to give it to he farmer I bought it from for a while while I’m away?
How is she acting otherwise? How long will you be away?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock Any chance you ladies have a moment to look over this and offer your thoughts?

How is she acting otherwise? How long will you be away?

@azygous @Wyorp Rock Any chance you ladies have a moment to look over this and offer your thoughts?
She looks OK but I realized that she a
also has a full crop in mornings. Here is a picture of her vent, not very clear. To be honest it looks dirtier in the picture but this is the general idea. Away for about a month but thinking of giving to the farmer this week. I’m so sorry that I keep on bothering you

Attachments

• B12E3BEE-68EF-4FA7-978F-D585D40A3721.jpeg
    B12E3BEE-68EF-4FA7-978F-D585D40A3721.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • BAEE9197-7BF5-419C-A9DE-40D513B96FEA.png
    BAEE9197-7BF5-419C-A9DE-40D513B96FEA.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 67FB5083-E0C5-4C9C-961E-2791FB8020B7.jpeg
    67FB5083-E0C5-4C9C-961E-2791FB8020B7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • C673D21E-5DFE-4C3E-B2D8-8ED40F674A51.jpeg
    C673D21E-5DFE-4C3E-B2D8-8ED40F674A51.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 940A2C9C-1320-46A4-BE59-7EB43BB0917D.png
    940A2C9C-1320-46A4-BE59-7EB43BB0917D.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
She looks OK but I realized that she a
also has a full crop in mornings. Here is a picture of her vent, not very clear. To be honest it looks dirtier in the picture but this is the general idea. Away for about a month but thinking of giving to the farmer this week. I’m so sorry that I keep on bothering you
You're not bothering me at all. I tagged the other ladies because they've been so helpful to me with so many things, shell quality and laying concerns being one of the many. They're both knowledgeable and experienced. There are other members on this thread that are knowledgeable and experienced as well.

The full crop is concerning and likely related. Is the farmer friend aware of your concerns? Are they willing to give meds or provide treatment, if necessary?

I'm so sorry. I know this is incredibly stressful especially anticipating your upcoming trip.

You're not bothering me at all. I tagged the other ladies because they've been so helpful to me with so many things, shell quality and laying concerns being one of the many. They're both knowledgeable and experienced. There are other members on this thread that are knowledgeable and experienced as well.

The full crop is concerning and likely related. Is the farmer friend aware of your concerns? Are they willing to give meds or provide treatment, if necessary?

I'm so sorry. I know this is incredibly stressful especially anticipating your upcoming trip.
I noticed the full crop today but I didn’t check the moment they woke up. Im not sure this I’ll help but this is what she looks like. They seem to have runny poop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 12

And the farmer said he can give extra calcium, he only know about the shell less egg.

Back
Top Bottom