Please help me tell if my pullets are cockerels.

Newchickmama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
North Carolina
Just as my name states, I am the new chick mama. My husband is in Iraq.. and i've been thinking of ways to keep the food bill low, yet have lot of food. So I thought chickens. Went to the family farm store, found some baby pullets, and got them. Well I just wanted one, but instead got two.

So that made me the proud owner of a barred rock (Helga) and a arucana (Olga). (June 1st is when they were purchased)

IMG_8658.jpg

So were chilling out, relaxing all cool....
Today I looked at the back of their legs.

Bumps. GREAT!
Now instead of eggs, im going to wake up one morning to a roasting chicken in the oven.
...When your husband is in infantry with ptsd.. they go into survivalist mode.

So here are some pictures. All credible feedback is welcome!!

My Helga and Olga cuddling!
IMG_8731.jpg

Please tell me Helga is not a rooster!!
IMG_8734.jpg

Please tell me Olga is not a rooster either!
IMG_8737.jpg

Olga's face
IMG_8744.jpg

Helga's face
IMG_8742.jpg

Helga's Legs
IMG_8745.jpg

Olga's Legs
IMG_8746.jpg

deffinatly not roosters and sence they are pullets that generally means that they are females
smile.png
and bumps mean nothing females have little bumps too

and i am pretty sure you dont need rocks in the water... how deep is the water? if it is about 1/2 of an inch or a little bigger you dont need rocks, even an inch is fine.. but i guess if you want to be safe put rocks in the water..
thumbsup.gif

My BR looks just the same, she was hatched on 5/27. I am counting on her being a girl. But her comb is still yellow, as it looks like yours is. As for Olga...I am still looking at my EEs and wondering.

olga does look like my EE ameraucana when he was a chick and he is roo now but no worries that means nothing. i guess you will have to wait and see!
fl.gif

Barred Rock is definitely a pullet; I raise them. The Easter Egger will take awhile before you can be sure-they take longer for the cockerels to "bloom" sometimes, but it seems girly to me, although I cant see the comb well.

Back
Top Bottom