Please help mosquito infestation

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
I have a 12x12 chicken coop that was on the property I bought and I started raising chickens in it this year. I’m dealing with a real mosquito problem right now and am unsure what to think.

If I go out to the coop at night there are thousands and thousands all over the walls. You can hear them buzzing from several feet away. I spray foamed all gaps and put screen over the only window. I made the little chicken access doors some screen coverings the chickens have to walk through they aren’t 100% bug proof but I thought they would help. The man door I keep shut whenever possible.

It’s as if they are coming from inside the coop which seems crazy. It’s a board and batten sided building, it was built on an old concrete pad and I’ve got about 4” of crushed limestone screenings as a bedding. The only standing water is their chicken waterer which is regularly dumped and changed. No standing water around the property. During the day there are still lots in the coop but nothing compared to the night.

Any ideas or solutions I can try? I also have no electricity so those fancy lights or traps I can’t really use.

Well.
I spray my coop inside and out. I actually sprayed yesterday. I usually spray 4 times a year (spring/summer/fall/winter). This usually keeps bugs/spiders, etc. down. I don't have issues with lice/mites (thankfully, but I check birds fairly often and treat them a couple of times a year with Permethrin dust).

You will still get some flying critters/bugs even if you spray, but it's worth a try.

I buy the concentrate and mix according to the directions. I use it to spray other outbuildings I have too.

You could also try Spartan Mosquito tubes. We've used them for years and don't have issues with mosquitos in our yard. Follow the directions. Since the mosquitos are so bad, I would start with permethrin like @Wyorp Rock said then put the Spartan tubes up. Double whammy those suckers
download (10).jpeg

I have a 12x12 chicken coop that was on the property I bought and I started raising chickens in it this year. I’m dealing with a real mosquito problem right now and am unsure what to think.

If I go out to the coop at night there are thousands and thousands all over the walls. You can hear them buzzing from several feet away. I spray foamed all gaps and put screen over the only window. I made the little chicken access doors some screen coverings the chickens have to walk through they aren’t 100% bug proof but I thought they would help. The man door I keep shut whenever possible.

It’s as if they are coming from inside the coop which seems crazy. It’s a board and batten sided building, it was built on an old concrete pad and I’ve got about 4” of crushed limestone screenings as a bedding. The only standing water is their chicken waterer which is regularly dumped and changed. No standing water around the property. During the day there are still lots in the coop but nothing compared to the night.

Any ideas or solutions I can try? I also have no electricity so those fancy lights or traps I can’t really use.
They are the worst!
A couple of ideas to throw into the mix. I have learned (the hard way) that they need very little standing water to breed. Even just some broad-leafed plants that hold water at the base of the leaves are enough. Do you have any plants around the coop that could hold water in that way?

Also, I don't know how far your nearest electric outlet is, but I have just bought one of these - you are supposed to put them a distance away so it lures the mosquitoes away from where you want to be - I can't see how effective it is as it literally got delivered yesterday but I have had it strongly recommended (it also collects the mosquitoes so you can give them (dead) to your chickens to enjoy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFDY2T7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will give Permethrin a try, I’m in Canada and strongest I can find is .35%. Also those Spartan tubes sound great but not available in Canada I’ll look for a suitable alternative.
Try Amazon for the Spartan tubes
They are the worst!
A couple of ideas to throw into the mix. I have learned (the hard way) that they need very little standing water to breed. Even just some broad-leafed plants that hold water at the base of the leaves are enough. Do you have any plants around the coop that could hold water in that way?

Also, I don't know how far your nearest electric outlet is, but I have just bought one of these - you are supposed to put them a distance away so it lures the mosquitoes away from where you want to be - I can't see how effective it is as it literally got delivered yesterday but I have had it strongly recommended (it also collects the mosquitoes so you can give them (dead) to your chickens to enjoy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFDY2T7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have one of those as well. We love it, it works great. We've had it for a few years now and it did need a bulb replacement this year(came with a new bulb)

Try Amazon for the Spartan tubes

I have one of those as well. We love it, it works great. We've had it for a few years now and it did need a bulb replacement this year(came with a new bulb)
Oh good - friends of mine have raved about it - I am looking forward to setting it up - with all the rain we have had and now heat it is becoming quite a nightmare out there.

Back
Top Bottom