Please Help my bird

I checked on him this morning, he's still in the same state but I was just relieved he hasn't died. He started his little honks when he saw me, what does the honk like noise they make mean? Fear, greeting, etc?

I keep trying to upload pics of him & the enclosure but sometimes this site won't let me add like I normally do, I'll keep trying

Someone in the Nor Cal thread had a similar situation with a chicken. She took it to Davis for euthanasia and the necropsy found coccidisosis. If it were mine I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid.

Dose per gallon for 5-7 days:
The 0.024% for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The 0.024% for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Then this for another 7 days:
The 0.006% for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The 0.006% for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

Also look up curly toe paralysis. Treatment is vitamin B2, I think. If he were mine, I would treat for both at the same time.

-Kathy

Thanks for all the input & concern but I think he's going to be put down today. I examined him closer today since there was no progress & found a wound in between his legs. I don't see any blood or much of a wound really but there's a really bad smell & flys are starting to lay eggs in his down. Poor guy. He also has been having black tar like droppings, I'm not sure what that means... I'm so bummed

So sorry about your boy
sad.png
hugs.gif

@msheets , If he's still bright and perky it's probably treatable with proper antibiotics and some cleaning of the wound, but I do understand that sometimes it's easier to euthanize. FWIW, many of here have dealt with some horrific injuries and somehow managed to save our birds, so just think about it before you do something you might regret. Perhaps take him inside and get a really good look at his wound, get the maggots out of it and give it a thorough cleaning. While you're at it, check every square inch of him for other wounds.

-Kathy

And if you do decide you want to try treating it, both Kathy and I treated birds with nasty wounds this summer. Mine was my Turkey and she had a ton of maggots in a big gaping wound under her wing, I never knew she was hurt until I smelled it.
sickbyc.gif
My hubby wanted to put her down, but my son and I treated her and she healed up completely. I'd be happy to share the details of how we treated her.

Well if it was just the wound I'd be more optimistic, but he may have broken his back since his motor function hasn't improved whatsoever...he is in high spirits and acts fine other than his physical issues.

I am more than willing to work on him but a couple weeks ago I had a terrible coon problem that put some pretty horrific injuries on my chickens (one leg completely missing with maggots the other's head was literally scalped). I tried to save them with antibiotics & tlc but they ended up dying. I just hate it when helping doesn't cure & they die anyway, then I feel like they were in misery longer than they should've been...then if I eithenize I have regrets as to "what if they could've pulled through."

Ugh what a tough decision I have to make!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom