Please Help My Broad Breasted White Turkey is Sick

KatsRule2759

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Hello, I have a year old broad breasted white turkey. We had recently let our turkeys out of the pen to free range. A few weeks ago my brother was pressure washing our back porch steps with bleach when our broad breasted white turkey came up and drank the bleach water from the steps, I'm not sure how many times. My brother kept shooing her away. I had raised her from a poult and got her used to humans.

A week ago she started having yellow spots on her head and now they are all over her head. One of her eyes is completely shut and the other is just a slit. There is yellow drainage around both of her eyes. Before this we treated her for what I believe is Infectious Synovitis with Tetroxy and she got better. Unfortunately, our other turkeys got it as well but we treated them all at the same time. Two of our turkeys have it again and I just started giving them the Tetroxy again. They are back in the pen again now.

Are the yellow spots and swollen eyes because of her drinking the bleach water or from the infectious synovitis? Do you know what the yellow spots, yellow drainage, and swollen eyes are from if it's not either of these?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a year old broad breasted white turkey. We had recently let our turkeys out of the pen to free range. A few weeks ago my brother was pressure washing our back porch steps with bleach when our broad breasted white turkey came up and drank the bleach water from the steps, I'm not sure how many times. My brother kept shooing her away. I had raised her from a poult and got her used to humans.

A week ago she started having yellow spots on her head and now they are all over her head. One of her eyes is completely shut and the other is just a slit. There is yellow drainage around both of her eyes. Before this we treated her for what I believe is Infectious Synovitis with Tetroxy and she got better. Unfortunately, our other turkeys got it as well but we treated them all at the same time. Two of our turkeys have it again and I just started giving them the Tetroxy again. They are back in the pen again now.

Are the yellow spots and swollen eyes because of her drinking the bleach water or from the infectious synovitis? Do you know what the yellow spots, yellow drainage, and swollen eyes are from if it's not either of these?

Thank you for your help.

I've not heard of bleach ingestion causing those symptoms, though burning with bleach topically quite possibly could. If it splashed on her, and none of the others have the same symptoms, then it may be scabs forming on burns. A pic may help. She may have some form of fowl pox.

Best wishes.

Thank you. I have tried uploading pictures using my mobile device but it won't for some reason. I'll try uploading them using a desktop computer. We have two ponds where I live so it might be some form of fowl pox from the mosquitoes, but our other turkeys don't have it. Just two have infectious synovitis.

I'm sorry, I don't know what's going on there, but I'd imagine, having consumed bleach, that there could likely be some physical aftermath of that which could last for a fair while. Might just be that.

Best wishes.

I think she has fowl pox because 2 roosters that stayed in the turkey pen a lot have a few yellow and black spots on their combs and near and under their ear holes.

I think she has fowl pox because 2 roosters that came into the turkey pen in the afternoon have a few yellow and black spots on their combs and near and under their ear holes.

Once I saw her extend her neck and breath with her beak open.

This could be due to a few things, but if I hadn't seen your last post, I'd think perhaps it's just burping or yawning. Birds do that too. But given your last post here...
I think she has fowl pox because 2 roosters that came into the turkey pen in the afternoon have a few yellow and black spots on their combs and near and under their ear holes.

It's possible, that if she indeed has fowl pox, and it's gone from the dry to the wet forms, she may have that typical buildup or lesions in her throat and/or windpipe obstructing her breathing and eating. You should probably check the forums here for information on dry and wet fowl pox. It can be treated but when in wet form there is of course some fatality rate.

I had a turkey I bought as an adult with the dry form once, but since I always give my chooks and turkeys raw garlic, it went away rapidly and none of the others ever showed a single lesion or lump; that's great, because the wet form looks like some serious trouble to deal with. I hope it's just the dry form in your girl.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom