Please Help My Chicken With Prolapse

I was watching a Animal Vet show on National Geographic and he rinses the prolapse with very cold water which reduces swelling in the prolapse. Push the prolapse back in, but be careful not to make a hole in the lining. Keep the bird confined so she can't move that much for a couple days and administer some antibiotics. You may have to do this a few times, but the cold water to reduce swelling sounds like it would work.

Quote:
You could PM a moderator. I agree, this should be stickied somewhere in behaviors OR Emergencies... Or a link to this thread in post one of one of the other stickys

Done! Thanks for the suggestion
smile.png

I am also adding a photo for anyone who needs to identify the issue. This is rather extreme. When our chicken first prolapsed, it was smaller but torn from a broken egg. She made it, and the vent went back to normal after 8 days. But now she has prolapsed again. We are building her a separate coop for when she recovers again.

90403_alison_1.jpg

Quote:
I had a white Wyndotte that every once in a while she would prolapse. The first time this happened I freaked. I actually went online to see if there was any info on this. You'd be amazed at the info I gathered. I cleaned her up with plain warm water, put Vaseline on her and pushed it back inside her.

She was fine for a while, still laying, but about a month later it happened again. This time, I as you, could not get it to stay in. I tried pushing it myself but it kept popping back out. I didn't know what to do.

I finally cleaned her up first then laid her on her back and talked to her while rubbing her chest and I got her to relax and it kinda went back in on its own. The problem is is the hen gets excited and that's why it won't go/stay in. You just need to relax the hen and it should work.

My poor Lucie since died of pneumonia and heart failure Dec 6 this year. Anyway, I wouldn't kill her until you have tried everything you could. The pic shows close to the same way my Lucie looked except Lucie's was really out there.

I hope I have helped you with your crisis. Good luck and let me know how she is in the morning.

I wonder if there is a point beyond which the prolapse cannot go back in. In both our cases, there is no way she let the mess go back in. It just had to dry up and fall off. So maybe catching it early is the key.

I am having my first (hopefully last) prolapse experience. BYC threads have been very helpful and hopeful.
I think this is a pretty mild case I am dealing with, it stays in when put back in. Keeping the girl, Pauly quiet in the laundry room, no light.
Hoping she is one that will be saved!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!

E.

I am having my first (hopefully last) prolapse experience. BYC threads have been very helpful and hopeful.
I think this is a pretty mild case I am dealing with, it stays in when put back in. Keeping the girl, Pauly quiet in the laundry room, no light.
Hoping she is one that will be saved!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!

E.

Sounds like you caught it early. Good luck!

I had a hen w/ a serious prolapse last year- she was about 2 years old. We soaked her in warm water for about 20 minutes once a day, then put prep. H (she didn't like That), then honey on it, then held it in for about 30 seconds. She eventually healed- we kept her isolated and in the dark and after she healed up after several weeks, we put her back w/ the others. She took about a month before she began to lay again.

Back
Top Bottom