Please help! My chickens have been getting worse by the hour

Thank you Is there anything I should do before the spray and stuff arrive from amazon. Should I try separating them I'm not sure which ones are doing it tho. Since every time I go in the coop ( 2-3or more times a day) It gets worse.
Watch them to identify the one chicken that always starts the plucking end pecking. Often it is the one with still nice plumage.
If you can identify her, them separate her from the others and see if they calm down and the pecking subsides.

I think it might be more then one since when the astros started pecking my other 2 bared rocks started too.

And maybe you could try and take a picture of the feed bag your mother has for the hens, so we can find out what they might be missing.

Mature laying hens need 18% protein in their feed.

when there is no rooster at least one and sometimes several hens will act like roosters and try to mount the subordinate hens,pretty much looks like whats going on w/ the back and neck feathers missing,that's not just bored picking,sit in your coop for half an hour and observe who the culprit is and separate them

when there is no rooster at least one and sometimes several hens will act like roosters and try to mount the subordinate hens,pretty much looks like whats going on w/ the back and neck feathers missing,that's not just bored picking,sit in your coop for half an hour and observe who the culprit is and separate them
Really? I haven't experienced that-

Should I try separating them I'm not sure which ones are doing it tho. Since every time I go in the coop ( 2-3or more times a day) It gets worse.
Several of the barred rocks appear to be in perfect feather - they are the birds causing the trouble. I would separate them from the pecked on birds.

I feel strongly this is a feather pecking issue. If it’s escalating quickly, it could progress to injury or cannibalism. Right away, I’d boost their protein and add enrichment to the run. Add some roosts, leaves, or even some shovels full of good soil with grass would be fun for them. The hands-down favorite “toy” for my hens is rice hulls. I get them in 60-pound bags from the feed store.

You might consider saddles for now, too. You could even make some from fleece by cutting them to the right shape vs. sewing something.

Ok, so we're gonna put some antibiotic ointment or spray on them. Then I'm going to get them chicken saddles and new stuff for the coop. Then I'm going to replace their feed or add more to it. And I'm also going to place a camera in the coop so we can find the culprit and separate her.
Thank you all for the help :D

Back
Top Bottom