Please help, my flock is dying.

FlyingC

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2020
In three months I have lost four pullets and a rooster. All came from a reputable hatchery.
The first to die was a Speckled Sussex hen , who had this bizarre warty looking skin on her neck, with no feathers. A few days later she couldn't stand well, and the following day she was on her back and couldn't get up, so I euthanized her. Then the Sussex rooster appeared to be going lame, in a few days he couldn't walk or stand either, so euthanized. Last week my husband tells me one of the light brahmas was sitting on the coop floor, he shooed her out, and she started scratching around, but that night she was dead, no sign of injury, infection, mites, etc. TODAY another light Brahma sitting in the coop. When I put her outside, several of the other hen began attacking her! As she tried to run away, it was apparent that her gait is off, similar to the roosters. As she is standing it seems she gradually sinks to the ground, and this appears unintentional. I separated her, but fully expect that she will be dead in the morning. What the hell is killing my chickens?!?! And more importantly how do I prevent further losses?

In three months I have lost four pullets and a rooster. All came from a reputable hatchery.
The first to die was a Speckled Sussex hen , who had this bizarre warty looking skin on her neck, with no feathers. A few days later she couldn't stand well, and the following day she was on her back and couldn't get up, so I euthanized her. Then the Sussex rooster appeared to be going lame, in a few days he couldn't walk or stand either, so euthanized. Last week my husband tells me one of the light brahmas was sitting on the coop floor, he shooed her out, and she started scratching around, but that night she was dead, no sign of injury, infection, mites, etc. TODAY another light Brahma sitting in the coop. When I put her outside, several of the other hen began attacking her! As she tried to run away, it was apparent that her gait is off, similar to the roosters. As she is standing it seems she gradually sinks to the ground, and this appears unintentional. I separated her, but fully expect that she will be dead in the morning. What the hell is killing my chickens?!?! And more importantly how do I prevent further losses?
Getting a necropsy on one would be a very good idea. Were the chicks vaccinated for Marek's disease?

No, they were not vaccinated, because it was a naive flock; We have not had Mareks disease, and the hatchery said not to vaccinate unless you had it.

Back
Top Bottom