Please help my girl

Both. Molasses is useful in flushing the intestines because it stimulates them to quickly move material through and out.

Poultry Nutri-drench uses molasses as a carrying fluid for the nutrients in it. But the doses are so small it doesn't cause problems unless it's used for more than a few days. It's not usually an issue as long as chickens are healthy. It just results in watery poops.

In this instance, these birds will hopefully be drinking most of the cup of electrolytes. If molasses is used instead of sugar, this could give them diarrhea and they shouldn't be losing any fluids in that manner as it could undo the good you're trying to accomplish with the electrolytes.
The reason I asked you to clarify that statement is because I use Nutri-Drench for up to 2 weeks with my newly hatched chicks. I haven't noticed or had any chicks with runny/watery poops. I also have plain drinking water available to them during the same time period.

You were probably using a very low dose, though, weren't you? This isn't a problem. Giving molasses in concentrated amounts to a sick chicken may not be in the interest of the sick chicken.

The key is amounts. There is nothing wrong with molasses. It's a useful, nourishing substance. We just need to keep in mind its properties and if we are using it in a way to benefit the individual we're trying to treat.

You were probably using a very low dose, though, weren't you? This isn't a problem. Giving molasses in concentrated amounts to a sick chicken may not be in the interest of the sick chicken.

The key is amounts. There is nothing wrong with molasses. It's a useful, nourishing substance. We just need to keep in mind its properties and if we are using it in a way to benefit the individual we're trying to treat.
Correct, low dose...about 4ml/qt. I agree, nothing wrong with molasses, it's used in lots of different feeds. I wouldn't give straight molasses to any animal or bird. It gives a quick energy boost, if given in the proper amount but so does granulated sugar.
The one thing I don't like about molasses is the high iron content. My well water has enough iron in it without adding to it! ;) High iron leads to whole nother set of complications.

Back
Top Bottom