Please help! My hen has empty crop and is bobbing her head around

Silkiechickie13

Chirping
Nov 19, 2017
Hi all,
I have a silkie hen who I love and last night I went to check on them and she was separate from everyone else just sitting there rocking back and forth sort of almost like she could not balance. She did not even cause a ruckus when i picked her up like she usually does lol. She seemed fine in the morning before this. I did find a black widow in their coop which I hope was not the case. Her crop was completely empty and there was leftover food so I'm not sure why. I did switch them over to layer feed, she was on un medicated chick starter and I have been feeding them weeds from the garden. She is about 5 months old. Could it be crop problems? Her breath smells fine so maybe impacted crop? Last night I force fed her some Gatorade and yogurt mixed with food she didn't really want it and I had to encourage her to swallow it with Gatorade since I do not have electrolytes on hand. Her poop was all water but this morning she's pooped twice and it is still watery but more solid. She is a little more active this morning showed interest in the food but did not eat it almost like she is too weak. Please help, I appreciate any input. I love my hen and I want her to get back to her normal self. Thank you :)

I wouldnt be feeding them weeds from the garden if I were you. It's best to let them free range and let them pick and eat on their own. I suspect an impacted gizzard with the head bobbing around. Get tomato juice and give it to her orally via a syringe without a needle. That should get things moving. Also provide grit free choice for your birds.

I wouldnt be feeding them weeds from the garden if I were you. It's best to let them free range and let them pick and eat on their own. I suspect an impacted gizzard with the head bobbing around. Get tomato juice and give it to her orally via a syringe without a needle. That should get things moving. Also provide grit free choice for your birds.
Thank you for the advice! I will let them free range instead of feeding them grass.:)
will tomato sauce or mashed up tomato work? The tomato sauce is plain no salt or anything. She did start eating on her own a little so hopefully that means she is improving!:wee
What should I do after the tomato juice and how much should I give her? Thank you:)

Sorry my phone is glitching and it made me post my reply before I finished. I have fed her some tomato juice and before that she seemed a lot better so I took her outside and she went crazy over food and everything but she kept falling over and could not balance an she even got her head stuck in a twisted position in the feeder. Could this be Mericks? She still grips into my hand with her toes and eats but she is all off balance. Could it be a nutrient deficiency since maybe she has not eaten enough in a while because of impacted crop? I really hope this is not Mericks.

I dont think it's Marek's disease. Try giving her Poultry Nutri Drench, one drop orally twice a day for no more than 5 days. If it's a nutrient deficiency, Poultry Nutri Drench should help.

I dont think it's Marek's disease. Try giving her Poultry Nutri Drench, one drop orally twice a day for no more than 5 days. If it's a nutrient deficiency, Poultry Nutri Drench should help.
Thank you.:) That is a huge relief! I have started doing this and hopefully it works. I asked a worker at the feed store who examined my chicken and said he thinks it is some sort of neurological that may be genetic.:( I will continue the nutri drench but if it is a neurological problem( I am very inexperienced so this may not be it) she is 5 months old and I just she literally changed over night, Today she is doing much better she can balance now but she does crash a little still if she is running or spooked. Could it have been brain damage or a genetic neurological issue? The roos are kind of mean to the hens sometimes so maybe it was them She is doing better today she slowly getting back to herself. She is a beautiful hen but if it is genetic I will not be able to hatch her chicks without the risk of them also having neurological issues. It just seems odd that if it is genetic it showed up so late. Thank you so much for all yout help! Sorry for the long post. Thank you again:)

Back
Top Bottom