PLEASE HELP!!! My hen looks like she is dying.

no noises, no wound only missing feathers, I am in gorham, and no other birds combs look like hers, her breathing sounds normal, she is about 9 months and no worming has ever happened, I have only seen her eat and drink once on her own, and I do not know how to check and identify crop issues.

also the day I discovered this, I had to pull a 5 inch peice of poo out of her. the stuff that was inside was stringy looking. could this be worms?

Answer these:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

13) Where do you live

1. aracauna, nine months, lighter than the others.
2. sitting in a corner with eyes closed.
3. 3 days.
4. no.
5. only a somewhat plucked back.
6. Extreme fear of our rooster.
7. water with apple cider vinegar, and eating home fresh extra egg.
8. runny, although when I had to pull a large 5 inch stringey poo. mayby worms.
9. sitting inside in the warmth.
10. there is a vet close by, so I can take her there.
11. file://localhost/Users/nathanielhollister/Desktop/Photo%20on%201-30-14%20at%203.55%20PM.jpg
12. tile floor.
13. gorham maine

A sick bird needs a warm room, like 80-85 degrees, so get her off the tile floor and get her warmed up. If you can afford to, take her to a vet. If not, weigh her on a kitchen scale and post some pictures of her poop. Have you dusted her for mites and lice with something other than DE?

-Kathy

Last edited:
And the poo thing you pulled, could it have been the membrane of and egg? If so, I suspect that she has some sort of reproductive problem that a vet should evaluate.

If you really think it was a worm, do a search for roundworms and tapeworms and let us know if the poo thing looked like those.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom