Please, help my hen!

Dont worry she can swallow it! I at first was horrified of shoving large pieces down their throats, but chickens don’t have a gag reflex and I’ve seen them gobble things much bigger. Yes just break the tum in half, push one back in her beak and let her close her beak and swallow and repeat with the other half. I find wrapping the bird in a towel and pinning it gently between my legs works for me.

Dont worry she can swallow it! I at first was horrified of shoving large pieces down their throats, but chickens don’t have a gag reflex and I’ve seen them gobble things much bigger. Yes just break the tum in half, push one back in her beak and let her close her beak and swallow and repeat with the other half. I find wrapping the bird in a towel and pinning it gently between my legs works for me.
I was mortified about doing it so I broke it into fours but I got them in. Now to wait and see what she does. I also had her soaking in a Epsom salt bath before hand so she was nice, relaxed, And wrapped in a towel.

She is puffed and closing her eyes. She's been like this for two days now. Initially, i thought she was egg bound, because before she started acting lethargic and puffed up, i saw her in the brooder box. Also about a week before she was acting lethargic and layed a shell less egg and afterwards she went right back to normal. So i have given her an Epson salt bath and lubbed her up a few times, but nothings has worked. She doesnt seem interested in eating or drinking. I loaded her up on some nutridrech. I've been using a syringe to almost force feed her wet food and recovery 911 water mixed in. Im starting to think something else is wrong with her. I gave her Corid last night because of the her stance and diarrhea. No blood in her poop though. I checked for mites. I didnt find any. I don’t want to lose her but I’m still very new to chickens so I don’t really know what else to do for her. Attached are pic of how I find her standing all puffed up and her poo.
You should find a vet who has experience with poultry.You can google poultry vets in my area.

Got one ultrasound strength 1000mg tums down the hatch!
I was mortified about doing it so I broke it into fours but I got them in. Now to wait and see what she does. I also had her soaking in a Epsom salt bath before hand so she was nice, relaxed, And wrapped in a towel.
You don't have to be scared. The prolapse victim (Mrs. Clean-egg, named cause she lays many clean eggs) had a "relapse of the prolapse" if you know what I mean. This time I had calcium citrate on hand. Ideally you should have calcium citrate on hand, but tums will work. Anyway, the calcium pills were BIG, and I asked, and they said shove it down their throat anyway. I didn't listen and cut it into quarters. It was torture getting all those pieces down her beak. She even flung one across the room and I couldn't find it again. I tried to do one whole, though, but she dropped it on the ground 5 times so I cut it in half and she swallowed it like a charm.

Good fortune for your hen! :)

Back
Top Bottom