Please help my poor duck!

Chickadee71

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
Hi, I've been reading on this site and I determined that Howard(duck) has a niacin deficiency. He is almost 8 wks. He has been given lots of niacin since he was about 3 wks.(when I noticed) I just dont know what else to do. I give him water therapy everyday and in keeping him in the house. He has a very happy demeanor and I want to fight for him as long as he's fighting. I'm posting a video so hopefully someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've been reading on this site and I determined that Howard(duck) has a niacin deficiency. He is almost 8 wks. He has been given lots of niacin since he was about 3 wks.(when I noticed) I just dont know what else to do. I give him water therapy everyday and in keeping him in the house. He has a very happy demeanor and I want to fight for him as long as he's fighting. I'm posting a video so hopefully someone can help me. Thanks in advance.
So apparently I can't load a video. I'm posting a pic instead.

Attachments

• 20200703_215533.jpg
    20200703_215533.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200703_215125.jpg
    20200703_215125.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 6
Are you sure it’s niacin deficiency or could there at least be something more going on...

Is the vet an option?
Is your duck able to stand at all? Can he move his legs and wings like he should?
Does your duck has a proper water resource deep enough to duck his head in and was himself?
Does he eat and drink well?
Does his poop look normal?
If you like to share your video you have to upload it to YouTube or Vimeo first and post the link in this thread.
I hope we can help you and this poor duck!

read more about niacine deficiency here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
written by @Isaac 0

Hi Isaac,
Yes, we are in the process of taking him to our vet that treats my dogs. I am not 100% it niacin. I will use your recommendation on how to post the video. He is eating and drinking GREAT and he does love his water. When he gets in his water he swims and ducks his head under. He lives diving. We're getting him minnows today as a treat. We can't let him with his family (7 other ducks) because they pick on him which breaks my heart. Yes, his poop is normal and regular. He has such a great demeanor and hasn't given up. I don't want to put him down as long as he is fighting to live. He's a lot of work to take care of individually (he's in my house) but I dont mind at all. After his swim time, I take him outside so he can enjoy his natural habitat. So as far as his legs and wing movements. His feet are pretty much squeezed together. They open very little in the water but far enough to be able to swim. He walks on his knee joint. You'll notice it in the video when I post it. He does stand and show you how beautiful his wings are by opening them up and almost "fanning" you. Thanks for your input. I'll work on posting the video.

Are you sure it’s niacin deficiency or could there at least be something more going on...

Is the vet an option?
Is your duck able to stand at all? Can he move his legs and wings like he should?
Does your duck has a proper water resource deep enough to duck his head in and was himself?
Does he eat and drink well?
Does his poop look normal?
If you like to share your video you have to upload it to YouTube or Vimeo first and post the link in this thread.
I hope we can help you and this poor duck!

read more about niacine deficiency here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
written by @Isaac 0
Yes, we are in the process of taking him to our vet that treats my dogs. I am not 100% it niacin. I will use your recommendation on how to post the video. He is eating and drinking GREAT and he does love his water. When he gets in his water he swims and ducks his head under. He lives diving. We're getting him minnows today as a treat. We can't let him with his family (7 other ducks) because they pick on him which breaks my heart. Yes, his poop is normal and regular. He has such a great demeanor and hasn't given up. I don't want to put him down as long as he is fighting to live. He's a lot of work to take care of individually (he's in my house) but I dont mind at all. After his swim time, I take him outside so he can enjoy his natural habitat. So as far as his legs and wing movements. His feet are pretty much squeezed together. They open very little in the water but far enough to be able to swim. He walks on his knee joint. You'll notice it in the video when I post it. He does stand and show you how beautiful his wings are by opening them up and almost "fanning" you. Thanks for your input. I'll work on posting the video.

How is he now?

How is he now?
We took him to the vet and sadly he had cancer. We had him put down and buried him under our beautiful pine tree. I hate it but I'm thankful he's not in pain anymore.
Thanks for checking on him. All the other ducks have been checked out and are doing great.

We took him to the vet and sadly he had cancer. We had him put down and buried him under our beautiful pine tree. I hate it but I'm thankful he's not in pain anymore.
Thanks for checking on him. All the other ducks have been checked out and are doing great.
I"m sorry for your loss.. but glad the others are ok!

Back
Top Bottom