Please help need advice.

May 31, 2019
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Hi, please can someone tell me what to do I just found this chicks head stuck in a hole in shade cloth.

Attachments

• 660E5036-A040-4BB5-9113-EEC36AA59C7F.jpeg
    660E5036-A040-4BB5-9113-EEC36AA59C7F.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BC780CFF-BA9F-4EFB-92DE-92D8A2C803DD.jpeg
    BC780CFF-BA9F-4EFB-92DE-92D8A2C803DD.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 12
Blukote is better for minor wounds, but right now, I would use something like Vetericyn, Betadine, or Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) and water to clean the wound. Then 2-3 times a day, apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the wound until it scabs well. Keep it near the other chicks, but separated in a little crate where they cannot peck it. It is possible they ran her into the cloth where she was caught, and they pecked at her. This is a common injury, and she has a good chance to recover if her brain wasn’t damaged.

So sorry for your hurt girl. :hugsI think she'll be just fine if you keep her protected from the flock. My first flock of chickens included a cockerel who did this to one of my chickens, well, he and another pullet ganged up on her. I didn't know what to use and hadn't found BYC yet, so I just cleaned it and used Blu Kote and it worked just fine. I kept her in a separate pen until it was healed and then I kept the Blu Kote on it until all her feathers grew back. There was always a little dent where feathers were missing, but by and large they all came back. Chickens will peck at anything red, so the Blu Kote kept them from pecking at her. Of course the cockerel was long gone by the time she came back into the flock. :smack

Keep us posted on her progress!:)

Chickens ain't got anything on cats curiosity, sorry your chicken is hurt, but it looks bad but will heal, just follow Eggcessive's instructions there

Back
Top Bottom