Please help: need make-shift feed ideas for weekend.....

Kuvasz

Songster
12 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Hatching wasn't supposed to start til tomorrow. Obviously those chicks forgot to look at the calendar! So, I've got one that is now 8 hours old, and another that is about 2 hours old, and a 3rd pipping..... My question is this: I read on a another website that if you don't have starter feed, you can feed them oatmeal ground in a blender for a few days. (How small? And I assume this is just raw oatmeal?) My chick starter feed (non-medicated, soy free, organic) is due to arrive at my house on Tuesday..... are there natural things I can feed them until then, or is this a bad idea? Is it bad to start them on something else, then switch them (like how it is troublesome to switch a dog's dog food suddenly?) The nearest store is a 40 mile round trip from where I live...so if they could be happy on oatmeal or rice or both for a few days, that would be great. Also, read about boiled egg yolks, chopped very fine...but is all this going to have enough grit? And how much do I give them of boiled egg yolk? I'm so confused!!!

I'm sure you guessed by now that this is my first ever hatch. lol

One more thing.... I see the list of treats you can give chickens....but can I give these kinds of things to my babies, too, and if so, right away, or wait a few days or what? I'm thinking things like watermelon, pasta, spaghetti noodles, squash, broccoli...etc.

ALL your ideas and comments will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANK YOU for sharing your personal experiences! And if you think I should drive out tomorrow morning and buy a bag of starter feed, I'll do that....
hu.gif

Yes, you can feed them eggs - it's what they've been living on for the past three weeks, after all! I've also heard that some ground oatmeal will be OK, too, but I haven't tried it.

Don't forget that the CAN live for 2-3 days without food after they hatch (but I think Tuesday would be pushing it). But, especially in summer when its hot, they should have fresh water at ALL times. If you don't see them drinking you can dip their beaks in to give them the idea.

Okay, all I know is that the chicks can live up to three days without food after they hatch. I've never heard about the oatmeal trick, but I suggest you research it a little more before trying it. If you could stand it, I would just go to the store and buy some feed.

About treats and chickens....... You should probably wait a week or so before giving them treats. (only give them small amounts at first)

I'm glad you care about your chicks!

Hi, and thanks to you guys for answering me so quickly! Yes, I do really care about them.... you might think this is the craziest thing you've ever heard, but I am a harpist. The incubator sits next to my big beautiful harp. They have heard me play the whole time they are incubating, so today after 2 hatched, I sat down to play. Well, they got SO EXCITED!!!! They both started chirping reallllly loudly and hopping all around in the incubator like crazy!!! I think they imprinted on the sound of the harp! They also recognize my voice because I've talked to them the entire time they've been with me, especially when turning them 3 times a day religiously.

I guess I'll just drive out to get some feed tomorrow. I don't want them to be hungry, and I sure wouldn't take any unnecessary chances waiting on the feed to arrive on tuesday...not even an option there. I know they can go 2-3 days, but that just seems wrong somehow, when I can feed them tomorrow when I remove them from the incubator.

One other thing though: if I get up in the morning, and there are others pipping.... then do I have to wait another 24 hours to remove the ones that hatched today? Aren't they going to get thirsty in there after 48 hours or more?

Who knew being a chicken mom would be so demanding! lol

You can do the oatmeal/ water they should be fine for a couple of day's at least.Boiled egg's Very finely chopped (like a meal type super fine)will do also.You SOOOO have to post a pic for us with the harp.That's Awesome.Congrat's on your chick's

If this works, then here is my first hatch from this morning! It's a light Brahma (possibly buff). Now about 12 hours old.
smile.png

61299_chick_first_born.jpg

(Thanks diesel girl!!)

Ok, last one of the night...here is the second one that hatched today. She's darker and more feminine looking than the first one...maybe a buff brahma? The first chick was scared of this one once she hatched, even though he hung out all day long exchanging chirps with her!! He wouldn't have anything to do with her for hours once she was out of that egg! Is that weird or normal?

61299_second_hatch_just_born.jpg

Back
Top Bottom