Please help. New to incubating!

Madere44

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Independence, Louisiana
This is my first time incubating duck eggs.
I have 6 eggs now that are all various stages of growth. What do I do when my first one gets closer to hatch? Do I keep turning the rest and just not turn him?
Thank you,
Eva

This is my first time incubating duck eggs.
I have 6 eggs now that are all various stages of growth. What do I do when my first one gets closer to hatch? Do I keep turning the rest and just not turn him?
Thank you,
Eva

When incubating if you only have one incibator you shouldnt do what is called a staggered hatch. Since eggs will be on different days for staggered hatches. What is the tome frame on the 6 eggs you have in the incubator. Another thing is once ypu stop turning the first set of eggs you are going to have to increase the humidity which may in turn mess with the other eggs.

Day 2 to day 10. I believe it is.
I wouldn't have them in the incubator but my female decided that she wasn't going to sit on them anymore.
My Peking also dumped her eggs in the nest with my mallard so I have a mix.
The nest had 13 eggs in it. 2 weeks in we candled them and left them as is. Removed the bad ones. Left 6. She was fine that night. The next night it rained hard and got cold, her nest was under water. Her & the other ducks went in their house. She never got back on the nest.
Recandled them day before yesterday, one of the peeking eggs had developed a massive blood clot and died. Went down to 5 eggs.
They all stopped laying for almost a week. Today my kids found 3. 1 mallard in the middle of the duck yard and 2 Peking in a nest instead of leaving them there they brought them in. I wasn't happy. But now they are in the incubator.

I'm going to recandle them tonight.
I'm honestly lost in all this.

Day 2 to 10 is a pretty big gap. My suggestion is because due to the range in days is if you can get a 2nd incubator and when the first ones need to be stopped turning and up the humidity put those in the 2nd incubator. Then move the next group when they need to be moved. Not sure if that is an option. BUt like I said because of such the gap in days that might be your best option.

Back
Top Bottom