Please help not sure what's wrong Bumble foot? broken leg? Injuries from fighting/ predator attack?

I have read it in the past and had it bookmarked in my old phone but none of my bookmarks transferred of course. I'll give it another look and see what I think. I've spent the last four nights staying up as late as 4 am doing research to try and help him and I think I've looked into both mycoplasma synoviae and gout in that time but I'll look again. Thank you.

I'm very torn my brain keeps saying bumblefoot but why couldn't we find any pus. Did we not go deep enough. I'd rather not have to do surgery again unless I'm sure.

Isn't it just awful? Have you ever seen anything like it? The black skin I feel is hiding so much.

What do you make of the lighter skin in the bottom of the foot?

I just don't know how this could come on so fast and sudden. The the color difference in the blood that came out of the bottom of his foot during the second bumble foot surgery with the blood from the removal of part of one of the scabs on the side. Idk.

Still no smell tonight by the way.

I feel like if mycoplasma synoviae was in the flock it would have shown up in the diagnostic lab tests etc especially since this bird was housed with the juveniles affected by the Marek's. Idk. Also you make a good point none of the other birds are acting ill at all.

Last edited:
With the feather follicle and leg swelling/infection combined with exposure, I can't help but think there's some cutaneous Marek's involvement here. It may have been latent in his system and stress of injury/bumblefoot has caused his immune system to allow the disease to become active. The lighter color of skin indicates dying tissue, either from swelling decreasing blood flow or necrotic tissue from infection, hard to say from pic. In order to try to save him, he definitely needs a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, like penicillin to get infection under control. Continue soaking to help keep it from crusting up and help clean it up. This will also help him feel better and be less sore. And as someone else already mentioned bandage it up with some vet wrap to keep clean and to help combat swelling. Also if you haven't already get him on some probiotics and added vitamins to help support his immune system. I would think if this was MS you would see other birds affected, and have respiratory issues.

Last edited:
It's just so baffling how quickly all of this has come on. Remember it's only been 7-8 days since he first limped but had no other symptoms. No swelling.
i agree but chickens are also very good at hiding their pain and illness

i will say i did skip a bait in my read back today so please forgive me ( i read a lot of different posts asking for help and sometimes get mixed up)

-have you tried saoking his foot/leg, epsom salt soak do wonders, they help alleviate swelling, draw out infection and can sometimes clear infections
if i were you i would soak his foot 2x/day for 15-20 minutes. maybe try to trim up the feathers
-it looks like he has been over preening that wing and follicle, i wonder if you started applying a drawing salve and wrapping it if the scab would come loose and help the swelling of the follicle

look closely under wings/around vent for mites and such, it is common in silkies and other feather-footed birds

do you have any permethrin spray or powder?

With the feather follicle and leg swelling/infection combined with exposure, I can't help but think there's some cutaneous Marek's involvement here. It may have been latent in his system and stress of injury/bumblefoot has caused his immune system to allow the disease to become active. The lighter color of skin indicates dying tissue, either from swelling decreasing blood flow or necrotic tissue from infection, hard to say from pic. In order to try to save him, he definitely needs a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, like penicillin to get infection under control. Continue soaking to help keep it from crusting up and help clean it up. This will also help him feel better and be less sore. And as someone else already mentioned bandage it up with some vet wrap to keep clean and to help combat swelling. Also if you haven't already get him on some probiotics and added vitamins to help support his immune system. I would think if this was MS you would see other birds affected, and have respiratory issues.

In the beginning of this thread I stated that his foot has been wrapped and ointment applied. His bandage was off for a foot soak, photos and bandage change. He is still mobile and on many inches of fresh clean shavings, in a box in the house, which I turn and fluff several times a day to be sure he's not standing in poo. I was afraid that light color tissue could be dieing but hoped maybe it was just stretched tight. Is there any other options? Again there is no smell of infection or dead necrotic tissue.

In all the photos of Marek's feather follicle involvement I've never seen anything that looked like this with the scabs and such. He also shows no other signs of the Marek's. If he passes we will possibly have him necropsied to get answers but idk.

We have not opened the wing wound since we found it, so I don't know what's underneath. There is some other fuzz coming out of the wing wound that didn't show in the pics but covered part of the scab so it seems that at least some down is also in that. I don't think it's just one feather follicle but I can't be sure.

Thank you for your response I don't believe I'm familiar with this so I'll definitely give it a look.

No one has mentioned if they think he has a broken leg or just the swelling of infection playing tricks?

Should we open the wing wound?

We will get and start him on
penicillin today. Anyone who disagrees with the dose previously stated in this thread?

Should we again try to cut into his foot looking for infection?

Should I stop washing his foot with the gentle iodine 1% solution?

Would it be kinder to put him out of his misery?

Also he does have probiotics and electrolytes in his water.

i agree but chickens are also very good at hiding their pain and illness

i will say i did skip a bait in my read back today so please forgive me ( i read a lot of different posts asking for help and sometimes get mixed up)

-have you tried saoking his foot/leg, epsom salt soak do wonders, they help alleviate swelling, draw out infection and can sometimes clear infections
if i were you i would soak his foot 2x/day for 15-20 minutes. maybe try to trim up the feathers
-it looks like he has been over preening that wing and follicle, i wonder if you started applying a drawing salve and wrapping it if the scab would come loose and help the swelling of the follicle

look closely under wings/around vent for mites and such, it is common in silkies and other feather-footed birds

do you have any permethrin spray or powder?

I understand chickens are very good at hiding pain and illness, we've experienced it before, but there was literally no swelling no bumble and no limp 9 days ago 8 days ago he began a mild limp but no swelling and no bumble 7 days ago there was a moderate swelling and slight-very small black bumble foot look(we immediately did surgery but found nothing) 6 days ago the swelling increased tremendously overnight and we began searching for other answers. We also started him on Tylan 50. 5 days ago we did a second surgery. 4 and 3 days ago we continued with his soaks and ointment.

Lol now I've confused myself. We've been doing daily bandage changes and soaks if I need to step it up I can. We've done three or four surgeries now idr to be honest it's starting to blur. The first couple posts should clear everything up. Anyways two of the four surgeries were simple scab removal the other two involved cutting.

Yes we are soaking his foot in epsom salt baths. We have also been using prid drawing salve and plain Neosporin in all of his bandages.

We will check today for mites and such as we did have a minor out break in a couple of our flock a couple months back. Every bird was treated and we've seen no reoccurrence. So yes we do have permethrin powder. He was not one of those infested earlier this summer.

hard saying with the amount of swelling he has

can you get him to a vet?

ETA - he is still eating, correct?

He is still eating yes. He is also drinking more than I had at first thought, probably about normal drinking.

Money is a problem for the vet and I don't honestly know if they'd even see him with the Marek's in the flock. We couldn't afford the vet until this weekend at the earliest and that's a bit iffy. Our local large animal/farm vets office does have a poultry vet but he is mostly retired now and is often on vacation for months. I'd have to call or it's hard to say when or if he's even available.

I understand chickens are very good at hiding pain and illness, we've experienced it before, but there was literally no swelling no bumble and no limp 9 days ago 8 days ago he began a mild limp but no swelling and no bumble 7 days ago there was a moderate swelling and slight-very small black bumble foot look(we immediately did surgery but found nothing) 6 days ago the swelling increased tremendously overnight and we began searching for other answers. We also started him on Tylan 50. 5 days ago we did a second surgery. 4 and 3 days ago we continued with his soaks and ointment.

Lol now I've confused myself. We've been doing daily bandage changes and soaks if I need to step it up I can. We've done three or four surgeries now idr to be honest it's starting to blur. The first couple posts should clear everything up. Anyways two of the four surgeries were simple scab removal the other two involved cutting.

Yes we are soaking his foot in epsom salt baths. We have also been using prid drawing salve and plain Neosporin in all of his bandages.

We will check today for mites and such as we did have a minor out break in a couple of our flock a couple months back. Every bird was treated and we've seen no reoccurrence. So yes we do have permethrin powder. He was not one of those infested earlier this summer.
lol, the swelling could be from the surgery
:hugs i would def continue the soaks and bandages

He is still eating yes. He is also drinking more than I had at first thought, probably about normal drinking.

Money is a problem for the vet and I don't honestly know if they'd even see him with the Marek's in the flock. We couldn't afford the vet until this weekend at the earliest and that's a bit iffy. Our local large animal/farm vets office does have a poultry vet but he is mostly retired now and is often on vacation for months. I'd have to call or it's hard to say when or if he's even available.
i understand about the financial
do you think maybe he is drinking more than normal?
is there any swelling in the other leg?

Back
Top Bottom