Please help!! Pecking order

I agree with others on a bigger space is needed. When integrating older flock with new it’s also good to split the run/coop at first so they can meet each other without hurting each other before putting them together - do that for a week or so. There will be fighting but should die down after just a few days.

I cant tell of this is excessive when establishing the pecking order, it’s been the one hen attacking the other very aggressively for the vast majority. She won’t let her into the coop as well. They are similar in size but the one hen just keeps attacking her even though she’s clearly stronger. This is the amount of space they have right now. I also let them out to free range frequently but haven’t today due to the new hens.
I have an omelet coop as you have. I love it! I did get the 6ft run as well but took it down after a while. It was too small for my 6 girls. Instead, I put the coop in a larger run area instead. I don't move it anyway, so it's fine. You may consider doing something like that. I never have aggression issues that are more than simple pecks here or there. The size of my run is about 12 by 30, with lots of space to roam.

There are 6 chickens that have been a flock for quite some time and we added 3 more and today was the first day of them being together. Also the hen that was attacking isn’t the flock leader which is why I am even more confused. The run is about 8x5
The space is crazy small for 9 hens, even if they only use it as sleeping quarters and free range all day. There is normally a lot of pecking that goes on at perching time.

I have the omlet with the 6ft omlet run attached I have 5 hens the coop and run is attached to a 20 by 20 fully enclosed run everything was great for about 4 months then out of nowhere one of my hens became very aggressive was bullying 2 of my other hens really bad I tried everything boredom busters more free roam time they get about 2 hours a day on my 3 acres of property nothing worked I no longer have her it's been about a month now and my 4 girls are so much happier and I've had zero pecking problems since. I think she was just a very very mean girl

I have the omlet with the 6ft omlet run attached I have 5 hens the coop and run is attached to a 20 by 20 fully enclosed run everything was great for about 4 months then out of nowhere one of my hens became very aggressive was bullying 2 of my other hens really bad I tried everything boredom busters more free roam time they get about 2 hours a day on my 3 acres of property nothing worked I no longer have her it's been about a month now and my 4 girls are so much happier and I've had zero pecking problems since. I think she was just a very very mean girl
Yep, I did the same, I sold the 2 more aggressive and assertive and kept the more submissive. They are all very happy now. There's still a natural pecking order but no nastiness, everyone can eat and drink and lay eggs, no problem.

Welcome to BYC.

How many birds do you have? How long have they been together?

What are the dimensions of your coop and run?

I'm afraid that your setup looks very small and that the subordinate hen has nowhere to go to show appropriate submission to her flock leader. :(
There are 6 chickens that have been a flock for quite some time and we added 3 more and today was the first day of them being together. Also the hen that was attacking isn’t the flock leader which is why I am even more confused. The run is about 8x5

If the hen that is getting attacked is new, then its normal. I had some ducks do this for a couple of days, and then they were just fine together. If it doesn't stop after a couple of days then you could separate the one that is getting attacked until the attacker loses interest in her.

My chickens that i had got March of 2021. Started fighting about october out of nowhere. The two that were fighting i ended up getting rid of. They wouldnt stop fighting.

Back
Top Bottom