PLEASE HELP, POSSIBLE EGG BOUND?

freerange4hens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Michigan
My Australoid has been acting very strange today. When I went out this morning to let them roam I noticed that she was just standing in the back corner of the coop while the others went out to explore. I figured she maybe just trying to lay an egg? I honestly don't know if she has even laid an egg yet she's about 26weeks old. Anyhow, we went back to check on her and she was in the same spot, we picked her up and she didn't try to get away like normal and hasn't made a sound all day. She won't eat or drink and hasn't pooped that i know of. We separated her from the others and put her in a dog kennel to keep an eye on her and again she hasn't pooped, eating, drank, made noise, her tail points down and shes puffy! I felt her lower abdomen and its hard and possibly an egg sitting there, i inserted a finger in vent and felt around, but not really sure what I'm feeling for?? Also, when I removed my finger a lot of clear whitish fluid came out with it.. not sure what that was? I gave her a syringe full of water and calcium and also some olive oil, but i don't know what else to do or whats wrong with her.. Can anyone help? I'm scared she's not gonna make it.
hit.gif

Thank you!

OK I just went back out to check on her and she was still standing the same spot, but a lot of this runny substance came out of her... I have a picture I could post if this will help anyone determine if its a poop or possibly a broken egg?? We felt her abdomen again and it now feels much smaller and no longer a bump near the vent.. Maybe she cracked the egg and that's what came out? However I don't see any shell pieces anywhere and she it still acting lethargic and not like her.. still not drinking or eating. Should I still give her a bath? Also, do they usually bounce right back to normal after getting the egg out? I also heard i could mix 3 aspirin with 1 liter of water and syringe 20cc to her to help with pain and inflammation, is this OK to do?

this is what i found when i checked on her just a few mins ago.

Thank you

I dont know about the medication but yes I would still give her a bath. I would feel in her for the shell. The sharp shell can cut her insides. I don't know if that's the egg though.

Ok, i'm new to the board and owning chickens. When i go in the vent, how to i feel for a broken shell or even get it out? I will put her in the bath.

thank you, i will.. Sorry , i mist really sound like an idiot about all this. Just new to me and wanna do all i can to help her feel better.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is possibly a soft shell egg. If there are no shards, she may have laid an egg with no shell. My cross beaked EE hen had this problem because she wasn't getting enough calcium in her diet. She showed all the symptoms you described and there were even a few times we thought she was sick but then she'd lay a soft shell egg, then return to normal. Just make sure she is getting enough calcium. HINT: We give our girls the shells from the eggs we eat that we'd otherwise throw away (we wash them first) or you can try feeding her oyster shell supplement. Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom