PLEASE HELP, POSSIBLE EGG BOUND?

Well we gave her a warm bath, I think she really enjoyed that she fell asleep in it for like 20 mins. :) took her out felt around in her and didn't feel any sharp pieces of egg or shards. I blow dried her off and she seemed a little more lively after that. Walked around the laundry room and jumped up on a laundry basket to perch and tried to sleep there. She still isn't eating or drinking, but to see her move around on her own was a great start. I will def put more calcium in their diet. I have oyster shells for them, but only offer it sometimes. I will mix it in with there food now instead.

Thank you all for your help and I will keep you posted on her outcome.

Thank you freerange4hens for asking these questions. My heart goes out to you as I am new at raising chickens & wouldn't know what to do. It is educational to others & if it ever does happen to one of my girls maybe I won't freak. I'll be thankful I read about it before.
I hope you're girl is ok & gets through this. Thanks to all the good hearted folks out there who gives advice & suggestions- very informative!

Thank you for your nice comment clfromok. I really hope she pulls through and that you don't have to worry about your girls becoming ill from eggbound.

Thank you for your nice comment clfromok. I really hope she pulls through and that you don't have to worry about your girls becoming ill from eggbound.
I read somewhere that id you give them calcium, it will help them pass soft-shelled eggs. Since I read that, I have used my calcium and d on two turkeys and two Old English hens. Each time I gave it, it helped them. I give it every other day while they are having problems and it really seems to help.

This is interesting to me as I would have assumed a broken shell within her yet given the looks of that egg. That chicken chick link looked like a good subjective way to deal with the problem on your own. It's interesting as I've had several Rubber eggs laid from my girls (with just the membrane) But is this what happens if there's no membrane I wonder or if the membrane comes off somehow down the chute? IDK...I'd be concerned about a broken shell yet. Was the egg material that came out smelly? Like it could have been in her for a while or infected? I've never dealt with this sort of thing either but would like to know how to handle it myself as I have 9 layers and something like this could happen to me....

I will check her in the morning to see if I can feel an egg in her, but my husband said he felt nothing after her bath. Whatever came out of her had a slight, very slight egg smell, but really it didn't have a bad smell.

I just hope whatever was wrong with her she is all better now and will continue to grow stronger. I would just love to see her go to the bathroom, eat and drink next. Still haven't seen any of that yet.

How is she this morning? Is she pooping? My fingers are crossed for you!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom