Please help, quail with broken leg

How was the vet appointment?
it went very well, they gave us lots of information that we didn't know, as well as diagnosing Gerry(the injured one). He has a swollen joint and they were afraid of it turning septic so he is on an antibiotic. His stool was runny as well which she was concerned about so we are filling up a stool sample container for them so they can test it.

it went very well, they gave us lots of information that we didn't know, as well as diagnosing Gerry(the injured one). He has a swollen joint and they were afraid of it turning septic so he is on an antibiotic. His stool was runny as well which she was concerned about so we are filling up a stool sample container for them so they can test it.
Glad to hear that the appointment went well!

Just so you know, these little growing birds heal like gangbusters. I had a 4-5 month old chick break a leg, high up, above the feather line. Totally floppy useless, absolutely no weight-bearing leg. I instantly thought just cull her now. BUT I put her in a wire dog crate where the other chickens feeder was near, so they saw each other all day every day. In 3 weeks she would bear weight on it, in 6 weeks I turned her back out with the flock. She could only be seen limping when on a full-out run and after another few months not at all. Today she is the most productive layer I have. Restrict movement but don't let the chick be isolated from the flock, that's all I have to say!

Back
Top Bottom