please help, question bare with me...

GOSPELSOLDIER

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
new britain
My roo and chicken have been together for 3 months now, she is about a year and 7 months he is just 10 months... my question is can they mate? because since i got them both there have been no eggs...not one...im so disappointed...he is a maran and she is a rhode island red, and i dunno what the problem is...

...any one? an answer or is there such thing as an sterile chicken?..im lost

She doesn't need him to lay eggs. She's never laid an egg? Not one? You need to check to see if you have her on high enough protein feed, whether she has access to good oyster shell, plenty of water and plenty of light. At her age she should be pounding those eggs out one a day.

yeah she has lots of water lots of feed high protein a separate feeder full of oyster shells. and i also giva her vitamins since the 1 month of having her to bump up protein intake..but no results...not one egg or even of eggs being there ever..there arent acess to any animals...no traces of any animals around that may have taken the eggs but no theres no way they can get in...un less you unlock the lock and turn the hinge and open the door theres no way that would happen and i dunno should i give her away and get another or what?

After a rooster reaches maturity he can mate with older hens at any age after they have also reached maturity. Even with the rooster or NO rooster she should be laying pretty good. Maybe it's proteins or another variable.

But 3 months without an egg i dont know about that!
hmm.png

Can you post pics of these birds?

How long have you had them? Is it possible that your female is still a young pullet? Has she developed any wattles?

Did she go through a molt right before you got her, and then is dealing with winter darkness?

Do you live in a part of the country/world that has really short days? Do you supplement their light? (Not required, but can be helpful. Much info on BYC about that.)

Last edited:
the way it sounded was that you keeped them locked up, but if you dont and they free range she could have a hiding spot she lays her eggs hens like to do that, do always think that since you have nest boxes that they will lay in there have you checked everywhere she has access to?

Back
Top Bottom