Please help. Rooster is so sick. Maybe mareks ?

stacedawn

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2022
This is day 3 and every day is worse!

He’s a golden rooster, about 5-6 months old. I have 6 other healthy hens.

Just switched from hay to hemp bedding. They sleep in the coop only, the rest of the day they’re roaming the backyard.

He’s had one health scare after another. Few weeks ago was dehydration or something else strange and this time
He is just paralyzed in the legs. Barely scoots around. I wish I could post a video. We just switched from starter feed to layers but I’ve been blending them to start. I had noticed a block of mold in our brand new bag of organic soy free corn free 50lb food bag so I had to buy a new one but im sure they had some contaminated food. First day of sickness he was wobbly and tired but huge appetite as always, second day he was limping around and today he can’t even perch or walk or stand on his legs. He has sores on his elbows which is why I sometimes put him in that hammock to take the pressure off of his elbows.

All the vets near me are unavailable for two weeks

Attachments

• BB69F32E-4D67-41C4-84F7-808BB64830DA.jpeg
    BB69F32E-4D67-41C4-84F7-808BB64830DA.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 4807EEA3-D1A0-4782-AD5F-C30D94EB398E.jpeg
    4807EEA3-D1A0-4782-AD5F-C30D94EB398E.jpeg
    847.4 KB · Views: 1
He really shouldn't be eating layer, maybe switch to all flock. He looks like a cornish cross, is he very heavy? If he is, he's been designed to put on muscle and if his feed isn't restricted, his legs give out from the weight. :[

gosh I still have so much to learn. You really think he is too heavy to stand on his legs? That would make a lot of sense because he eats SO MUCH FOOD and is extremely heavy. I feel so silly to just now realize restricting his food is most necessary. He is twice the size of all the others but I figured it was because he’s a rooster. Would you say to feed him a few times a day? Or just switch the feed altogether?

Thank you. I just gave him a bath because he just lays in his own poop, and also so I could see if he has anything else going on/tumors or mites and he looks okay besides just barely walking on his elbows.

Has he by chance had any injuries to his spine? Maybe a sore on his breastbone? Regardless make sure he keeps eating and drinking.

Has he by chance had any injuries to his spine? Maybe a sore on his breastbone? Regardless make sure he keeps eating and drinking.
No injuries that I’ve seen. He looks like he has two sores on his wing base points?

I really do feel sad and sure that I have overfed him and he has grown so fast his legs can’t hold him. Now I don’t know how exactly to fix it

No injuries that I’ve seen. He looks like he has two sores on his wing base points?

I really do feel sad and sure that I have overfed him and he has grown so fast his legs can’t hold him. Now I don’t know how exactly to fix it
What are you currently feed him?

They’re getting mixed organic starter with organic layer feed (crumbles) because it’s just about time to switch from starter to layer
I recommend to completely remove the starter feed since layer feed will already be giving him enough nutrients. If he refuses to eat the layer feed you can always put it in a blender and make it into crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom