Please Help!!! Rooster stumbling, no balance, sitting on hocks.

Okay, so I checked him again this evening and he's definitely NOT worse. Haha...
His eyes are clear and sparkling, black as Obsidian unless you look under a high-powered light, then they're as dark as green eyes can get with symmetrical, round pupils that constrict in the presence of light. So that's GOOD news, right???

Sounds very good. I would keep him apart from Mr. Mean Mistreater until he gets better. After mine got better I locked up the offender and peace has returned to the flock.

He's about the same this morning, but his comb seems a little paler and he seems a little weaker in general, but he's still eating and hobbling around on his hocks.
On another note...something I hadn't thought of before...he has been wearing a no-crow collar for the past several weeks, and it didn't seem to be having any sort of negative effect, but is it possible that the COLLAR could have caused this??? I took it off of him as soon as I realized something was wrong with him.

Last edited:
He didn't make it. :hit He just progressively got worse until he couldn't take a step. Then he tried to stand, fell over forward into his own poo and couldn't get back up. That's when I knew it was time to euthanize. I will never let a bird suffer that long again...
That's the first time I've ever taken the life of something I care about...not gonna lie, I'm pretty traumatized. Sending him in for necropsy.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You tried all you could, and it must have been very hard to lose him especially after all you did to help him. Hopefully the necropsy indicates what happened. Hang in there!

Sorry for your loss. Glad that you are getting a necropsy. Hopefully, they can get it done before the holidays. I think your state may be a bit higher in cost than some others for a necropsy. Let us know what the diagnosis shows.

I have no idea how being attacked could cause what I saw, but my rooster acted like he was drunk. He couldn't bend forward and eat off the ground without doing a forward somersault, so he had to sit to eat. And he was constantly falling back on his haunches when he walked. I felt so sorry for him and gave him scrambled egg every day until he got better (along with his regular food). He's back to normal.
My special needs girl is like this - although not as bad - after she was attacked by the flock. Wondering if this can result from peck to head or flog to the back, either a temporary neurological injury or leg injury from being jumped.

He didn't make it. :hit He just progressively got worse until he couldn't take a step. Then he tried to stand, fell over forward into his own poo and couldn't get back up. That's when I knew it was time to euthanize. I will never let a bird suffer that long again...
That's the first time I've ever taken the life of something I care about...not gonna lie, I'm pretty traumatized. Sending him in for necropsy.
Did you send him in for the necropsy?

Back
Top Bottom