Please help! Seeking every legal avenue for vengeance after a slaughter (TX).

Pics
I watched a lot of videos before I built my coop and run. (It took 6 months ) I'm still patching holes so no weasels or snakes will get inside.Weasels will kill the whole flock if they ever get inside. It is coyote and dog proof.
My coop is Fort Knox with a 12 inch deep trench all around the periphery lined with screen back filled with dirt and rocks three deep. Hardware cloth and solid treated wood frame. I even have locks on the clean out door, the door to the run and the egg box. My problem is that I like to let my hens out in my fenced back yard. I have security cameras and three were killed mid day by neighborhood cats. No ordinance against cats wandering around killing chickens. Many people did not believe that a cat could kill or world kill a full grown chicken. I had the police and animal control watch the videos- I wouldn’t but knew from other chicken living neighbors that the cat had been killing other chickens. We finally convinced the owner to re home the cat. We will see!

My coop is Fort Knox with a 12 inch deep trench all around the periphery lined with screen back filled with dirt and rocks three deep. Hardware cloth and solid treated wood frame. I even have locks on the clean out door, the door to the run and the egg box. My problem is that I like to let my hens out in my fenced back yard. I have security cameras and three were killed mid day by neighborhood cats. No ordinance against cats wandering around killing chickens. Many people did not believe that a cat could kill or world kill a full grown chicken. I had the police and animal control watch the videos- I wouldn’t but knew from other chicken living neighbors that the cat had been killing other chickens. We finally convinced the owner to re home the cat. We will see!
A safer alternative to free ranging would be connecting chicken tunnels to your run (I plan on making one myself soon as winters over!) I do not trust my neighbors to be responsible or keep their pets contained . I'm not against free ranging and totally understand why other people do it but I simply can't afford to lose any of my chickens. Sorry for your loss!

Imbri, I can empathize with you, I have lost many birds in the past and I also have an indiscriminate neighbor who does not care where his puppies go. I lost 4 Muscovy juveniles the week before last. I have also lived next to the same folks for over 23 years. I mention it to him and then I beef up my coops. I also am at home when I let mine babies out. I think animal control and the legal remedies that the other folks here have mentioned may be your only recourse. It still hurts and makes you mad though. :hugs

A safer alternative to free ranging would be connecting chicken tunnels to your run (I plan on making one myself soon as winters over!) I do not trust my neighbors to be responsible or keep their

pets contained . I'm not against free ranging and totally understand why other people do it but I simply can't afford to lose any of my chickens. Sorry for your loss!
Thank you. Yes it is unfortunate to have irresponsible neighbors. People let their dogs out into their back yards I can guarantee the there would be community their would be legal action of a larger mean dog killed a small dog.

Actually, there almost certainly is an ordinance against cats wandering around killing livestock. Look to 172.51 in your State Code. You may havbe local code assisting you as well.

/edit looking further, if THIS is your Shorewood Hills, then unless this portion of the code has been revoked, any cat off its owner's property is considered "at large" if it is not A) Wearing its license **AND** B) wearing an anti-predation device (which, unfortunately, can be as simple as wearing a bell). But even if not "at large", it can still be a public nuissance, and the owner can still be held liable for the cat's actions off owner's premises.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom