Please help! Seeking every legal avenue for vengeance after a slaughter (TX).

Pics

Imbri

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
Two beautiful drakes (Freya and Marshall Mathers) and a gorgeous rooster (Mozzie) were violently and viciously slaughtered in our yard today. They were all just 10 months old and the ducks had come to us as hatchlings. Had my poor, traumatized Mother-in-law (who lives in a separate trailer on the same property) not happened to come home when she did, our three hens would've died too.

When she came home, she saw Freya and Mozzie dead and two dogs trapping Lil' Debbie in a corner behind our roses so they could kill her. It took FIVE fits of deliberately craxy-sounding screaming to chase the dogs off to the point they didn't try to come right back when the screaming stopped. Once they left, husband's mom knocked on our bedroom window to wake me up and I immediately shoo'd Torchic and Marcie Joy into the house before rescuing and comforting a truly petrified Debbie, who had flattened herself to the ground in the corner she got tree'd in.

These neighbors have allowed all of their dogs to free-range in our neighborhood for years... since long before we moved in behind husband's parents. Also, they do not spay or neuter. For example, the female murderer came back to the crime scene later with nearly-grown puppies in tow to move Mozzie's body.

Our poultry are not livestock, they are pets. Treasured family members who we'd love to have live inside with us if that wasn't so unfeasible. My husband and I both vastly prefer animals to kids - we're approaching 40 with no kids and a full menagerie of animal companions.

"Devastated" does not even begin to cover how I feel right now. I had no idea what a threat those stupid dogs were because they're fairly small and because long before our poultry was even born, the male murderer tunneled under the fence of our next door neighbor long ago - we always see him in their yard "visiting" the german shepherd that lives there and there's a couple dozen chickens that free-range on that property.

It is absolutely unacceptable (and illegal) to let dogs under your care strut around the neighborhood unleashed and unsupervised and brutally murdering other people's pets purely for, by all accounts, sport.

The forum-appropriate version of my mission statement is this:
I want to nail their butts to the wall in every possible way.

We're already pursuing the "county Animal Control" avenue. If I get my wish, all their dogs will be taken away. Hopefully all of their dogs not involved, including the murderers' puppies, can be rehabilitated and placed in loving and responsible homes.

It's not enough for me, though. Animal control seems like it's mostly about dealing with the animal situation and the dogs aren't actually the root of the problem here. I feel like animal control will take the dogs and the owners will get a fine and the next time I turn around they'll have gone out and gotten new dogs and the whole thing will happen all over again. I want to become these people's worst nightmare the way they neglectfully chose to become mine. My MIL said she thinks that it would be possible to file a civil suit against the nightmare neighbors, especially since 3-4 months ago, I spent around $800 I couldn't afford on vet bills fixing our ducks' bumblefoot issues.

We're super poor... but also only work part time and have zero social life outside of our pets and hanging out with husband's mom (who is equally outraged and traumatized by what happened). In other words, we've got the time to pursue EVERY avenue for revenge within the confines of the legal system. I want to go after them for every violation and illegal action I can come up with.

If any of you have ideas, bring 'em on! These people should never be allowed to have animals again.

We need more info, you haven't said how you secure your animals.
Do you live in a fence in or fence out county? Do you have a fence or run to keep them in and did the dogs get through it?
What time did this happen? If you were asleep, did this happen at night? How big of a property do you have, and how far away from your trailer was it that you didn't hear it? Are there any other witnesses besides your MIL?
If you don't have a secure area for your critters and you knew that dogs sometimes get loose then this loss is more your fault than the dog owners.
If you do have a fenced yard that the dogs got in, then that's a property damage and loss of livestock.
Also, a little law advice, I recommend that you stop using words like "murder, slaughter and revenge' (especially that one) if you want to be taken seriously by the law, (or not have them take the revenge thing as making threats on your neighbors) I know emotions are high right now but some maturity and a cooler head will get you farther in whatever avenue you take.
Remember that the law sees your ducks as livestock, no matter what you see them as.

You DO HAVE legal rights. Report to authorities and also to animal control.
Document everything, keep any s
And all receipts -medical care (even over the counter), repair costs
Take pics of everything-dead birds, dogs on your property, your coop and run.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority.  The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
More later

Your neighbors have the responsibility to keep their animals secure, as do you. Neither cancels the other out, but you also aren't the one letting your animals into their yard, so their portion of the responsibility is much higher.

Are you able to use an electric poultry fence? My dogs won't go within 20 feet of it after one shock. Keeps bears, pine martens, and foxes out too.

I think most livestock and property law limits are set at the value of said property. While we may see our property as a pet, and being priceless, the law doesn't.

Do your neighbors have the responsibility to keep their property under their control? Without a doubt. They are liable for the damage caused to your property by their property. Just understand the low value the law will put on your property.

You shouldn't HAVE to lock your car to keep it from being stolen, but as we all know, some people don't respect the law. Since your neighbors don't care about their property, you need to take extra steps to keep your property secure.

It's not your fault if your chickens (your property in any law I've ever seen stated) were on your land. Whether you were sleeping or not has no relevancy in the placing of blame. Your neighbors dogs should be controlled in some manner so they are not destroying property (family pet/livestock). But a chance to calm down and approach this with a cooler head is a very good idea. I'd like to think your neighbors were being careless, not malicious, they didn't sic their dogs on your chickens and ducks, they just thoughtlessly let them roam with horrible, horrible consequences. They may not be able to speak fluently, but someone in the house might be able to speak enough of the language so that your hobbies hubby, or MiL might be able to discuss a solution peaceably before resorting to the law?

Last edited:
That should CHANGE!! There should be cruelty laws that protect chickens. I find it unfair. Chickens can seek pain grief and have strong feelings. These animal laws are messed up and need to change. Once they were these people that beat there chickens with a hammer repeatedly and did not get arrested because they were seen as a nuisance to the county and believe me that chicken was screaming in pain!!!:barnie
I did not post the entire book of laws for Texas. Only the part concerning protecting livestock.
For your reading here is a list of links concerning cruelty

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/tx-cruelty-consolidated-cruelty-statutes
It is not cruel to protect your property. Many people have alot of time and money invested in their livestock.
If an animal is endangering a $10,000.00 bull (yes some are worth that much) the owner should have the ability to control that danger legally.
Let's NOT throw our opinion on right/wrong into the mix when it comes to our animals. Just answer the OP questions.
If you feel the laws are wrong-start working to change the laws

Back
Top Bottom