Please help! Something attacked my hen!

Pics
Chickens lose feathers starting at the head and neck when molting. They can lose weight too. I suspect she is hiding from you both (you and Mildred)I give my hens scrambled eggs or treats when I need to give them medicine or administer care so they don't associate pain with the treatment.I suspect the saddle would only make it worse (dry the wound out)causing it to get infected.You may need to keep her in the run during the day so she'll quit hiding and eat. It would also prevent her getting re-injured(by Mildred or the bush)
Agreed. My thoughts exactly. She seems to be pecking at it too? Perhaps it’s healing? Itchy? Seems to be pecking more now and could have made a bit worse. I try to offer treats when cleaning but she isn’t interested. She is a good patient but definitely over me right now. It’s 2-3x a day I’m bugging her with saline and neosporin…

Antibiotics should only be used when absolutely necessary so you did the right thing if she didn't need them.
Yeah I agree and have heard that a lot. I did them right away because I truly don’t know how she got the wound or how bad it was hence the quick 5 day treatment as a precaution. I don’t want to do more if I’m not seeing infection. :)

Back
Top Bottom