Please help! Something attacked my hen!

Pics
Thank you! This is what Iā€™m doing. So I should isolate her? A crate perhaps in the run area? I also have a wired off section of run she cold stay in but Iā€™m worried she may dust bathe? This could be a predator attack but my gut is telling me itā€™s my hen Mildred who has been mounting two of my girls quite a bit lately! She is 100% female.. lays eggs for over 2 years. Iā€™ll post pic of her AND pic of her mating another girl! I caught it! How long do you think she needs to be isolated? I always feel so bad. I suppose I can let her out while I supervise and at night she doesnā€™t sleep with Mildred.. they have separate coops.. long story. So tonight she is roosting with her close friend. I how Iā€™m doing this right. It was so shocking seeing this wound! Do you think I should start an antibiotic? No more peroxide eitherā€¦ I did that tonight and feel bad about that. I thought I was helping! I did saline after and packed with neosporin. Here is Mildred belowā€¦
I kept a hen (I rescued ) in an adjoining coop a week before integrating her into my flock a month ago . In the beginning if any of them got too close to her she'd peck it on the head.They refused to roost with her so I put her back in her own coop at night another week and they get along now. She's stopped pecking them in the head if they got near her now and they all hang out together . Chickens can usually work out the pecking order without human intervention but sometimes it doesn't work.I know you say its a long story why Mildred doesn't roost with her but it might explain better how and she was injured.Just trying to rule out it being a predator.I find it hard to believe a hen did this to another hen.

I kept a hen (I rescued ) in an adjoining coop a week before integrating her into my flock a month ago . In the beginning if any of them got too close to her she'd peck it on the head.They refused to roost with her so I put her back in her own coop at night another week and they get along now. She's stopped pecking them in the head if they got near her now and they all hang out together . Chickens can usually work out the pecking order without human intervention but sometimes it doesn't work.I know you say its a long story why Mildred doesn't roost with her but it might explain better how and she was injured.Just trying to rule out it being a predator.I find it hard to believe a hen did this to another hen.
Thank you! :) as far as roosting goes at nightā€¦ I have two coops within one large run. The two older girls are used to sleeping in the older coop which is to small for all 7. The younger 5 girls have a new coop that they prefer to sleep in. Youā€™re probably correct that if they all slept together it could help.. but I just let them sleep in the coop they prefer? I know itā€™s hard to believe but I really do think Mildred somehow did this by mounting. I shared a pic of her mounting one of my other girls. Iā€™ve seen her mount Lilac as well. She doesnā€™t have spurs though? Although I do see little sour nubs coming in?! Iā€™ve seen rooster injuries that looked identical to this so thatā€™s where I drew my conclusions.. :)

Attachments

• CB58001C-E867-41A6-B946-630E73C15356.jpeg
    CB58001C-E867-41A6-B946-630E73C15356.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! :) as far as roosting goes at nightā€¦ I have two coops within one large run. The two older girls are used to sleeping in the older coop which is to small for all 7. The younger 5 girls have a new coop that they prefer to sleep in. Youā€™re probably correct that if they all slept together it could help.. but I just let them sleep in the coop they prefer? I know itā€™s hard to believe but I really do think Mildred somehow did this by mounting. I shared a pic of her mounting one of my other girls. Iā€™ve seen her mount Lilac as well. She doesnā€™t have spurs though? Iā€™ve seen rooster injuries that looked identical to this so thatā€™s where I drew my conclusions.. :)
I don't think her toe nails did that so I would be on the look out for a hawk. Taking care of an injured pet (chicken ) can be overwhelming .Esp when you have to separate them.
If one of Mildred's ovaries is damaged she'll have more testosterone than the other hens and act more like a rooster. Her ovary could heal and she'll stop mating the other hens or it could get worse which will cause her to stop laying. I'd still be on the lookout for a hawk since you free range. They're migrating now.

I don't think her toe nails did that so I would be on the look out for a hawk. Taking care of an injured pet (chicken ) can be overwhelming .Esp when you have to separate them.
If one of Mildred's ovaries is damaged she'll have more testosterone than the other hens and act more like a rooster. Her ovary could heal and she'll stop mating the other hens or it could get worse which will cause her to stop laying. I'd still be on the lookout for a hawk since you free range. They're migrating now.
Thank you! I certainly havenā€™t taken the hawk out of the picture.. would there be any other signs? She clearly is nervous around Mildred.. perhaps because she is woundedā€¦?

Thank you! I certainly havenā€™t taken the hawk out of the picture.. would there be any other signs? She clearly is nervous around Mildred.. perhaps because she is woundedā€¦?
I've seen similar injuries from spurs or talons but not claws. The injured hen fears her because she knows none of the other hens will help her or protect her from the head hen who forcing her to submit physically/Most roosters don't mate hens that don't submit.They ignore them. Roosters that rape hens that aren't willing are usually culled to prevent them injuring the hens.Abuse of the hens isn't tolerated by roosters with talons. Hens will sometimes do this after a roosters been removed (which you did)

I've seen similar injuries from spurs or talons but not claws. The injured hen fears her because she knows none of the other hens will help her or protect her from the head hen who forcing her to submit physically/Most roosters don't mate hens that don't submit.They ignore them. Roosters that rape hens that aren't willing are usually culled to prevent them injuring the hens.Abuse of the hens isn't tolerated by roosters with talons. Hens will sometimes do this after a roosters been removed (which you did)
Thank you. I didnā€™t have a rooster to begin with. I havenā€™t removed a rooster..

Hmmm Lilacs wound doesnā€™t look as good to me this afternoon. Looks like the bottom of the wound reopened slightly? It seemed looser and bottom of it deeper? I wonder if she is doing too much..? She picks at it.. Iā€™ve noticed her doing this lately.. and also jumps up onto roost. Im not sure if she reopened it a bit? Thoughts? The wing on that side seems a bit swollen at the top as well.. ? Almost as if she is molting as well? First image is this morning.. second evening and third and fourth top of wingsā€¦She feels so skinny tooā€¦ :( I do see her eating just not nearly as much. Do you all think I should keep her in run all day versus some free range time? Perhaps she is doing too much? Maybe put the saddle on her so she canā€™t pick at it? Iā€™m going to give her a bath this weekend as well. Her feathers on this injured side are literally unusable due to neasporin dripping for past week and a half.. :( Poor Lilac! She hates me.. she hides more from me than Mildred! There is no sign as far as smell of infection.. I did 5 days of Amoxicillan.. should I do more?

Attachments

• 616BA9A1-170C-4185-9919-21E20A2483FA.jpeg
    616BA9A1-170C-4185-9919-21E20A2483FA.jpeg
    618.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2FD7604D-CEC1-4E37-847C-8150B1CE1076.jpeg
    2FD7604D-CEC1-4E37-847C-8150B1CE1076.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 3AE201FA-2E9A-4A1A-B975-355A8CAF3C38.jpeg
    3AE201FA-2E9A-4A1A-B975-355A8CAF3C38.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3997A26D-FA8E-484B-B8BE-6E9DBFA08289.jpeg
    3997A26D-FA8E-484B-B8BE-6E9DBFA08289.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hmmm Lilacs wound doesnā€™t look as good to me this afternoon. Looks like the bottom of the wound reopened slightly? It seemed looser and bottom of it deeper? I wonder if she is doing too much..? She picks at it.. Iā€™ve noticed her doing this lately.. and also jumps up onto roost. Im not sure if she reopened it a bit? Thoughts? The wing on that side seems a bit swollen at the top as well.. ? Almost as if she is molting as well? First image is this morning.. second evening and third and fourth top of wingsā€¦She feels so skinny tooā€¦ :( I do see her eating just not nearly as much. Do you all think I should keep her in run all day versus some free range time? Perhaps she is doing too much? Maybe put the saddle on her so she canā€™t pick at it? Iā€™m going to give her a bath this weekend as well. Her feathers on this injured side are literally unusable due to neasporin dripping for past week and a half.. :( Poor Lilac! She hates me.. she hides more from me than Mildred! There is no sign as far as smell of infection.. I did 5 days of Amoxicillan.. should I do more?
Chickens lose feathers starting at the head and neck when molting. They can lose weight too. I suspect she is hiding from you both (you and Mildred)I give my hens scrambled eggs or treats when I need to give them medicine or administer care so they don't associate pain with the treatment.I suspect the saddle would only make it worse (dry the wound out)causing it to get infected.You may need to keep her in the run during the day so she'll quit hiding and eat. It would also prevent her getting re-injured(by Mildred or the bush)

Back
Top Bottom