Please help - stick tight flea I think???

If you look at the pics at the beginning of this post you will see we completely eradicated stick tight fleas by a generous dousing with Sevin dust and Vaseline. We held the chicken by the legs and poured dust all over. We also put dust by hand on each little flea around the eyes. Amazing results for us. An old timer also told us to leave a bowl of Sevin dust and they will give themselves a 'sand' bath in the dust. Really hope that you get it taken care of. They're a pain!!
1f60a.png

I had the very same problem, reddish 'fleas' mounded on the chicken's head and neck - terrible stuff.

we were to the point to consider burning down the 100' long coop to get rid of them. I had also read that was the only way to banish these parasites.

Finally read on this forum to spray the coops, nest boxes, ground, perches and all surfaces with the IG and Tenguard (permethrin) together, both came from Amazon.

I also turned the feathers up on their backs and chests to give a good spray in those places; but I don't think I used the IG on the birds.

Then put clear Swat gel (horse product) all over their heads / necks, wherever I saw fleas, trying my best not to get in their eyes. but the fleas are stuck on so fiercely and very hard to remove in any way other than by suffocating / poisoning them. You could see the birds felt better almost immediately, maybe the fleas loosened their hold?? but you could see them physically relax after the Swat was on the fleas.

Maybe this wasn't an ideal treatment medical-wise, but we were infested with them for 2+ years and this was the ONLY treatment we used that was effective. Amazingly, they've stayed away as well. I thought for certain they would come back, but they haven't.

hope this helps.

I think I'm having the same problem. They are all over my rooster's comb. I have hens shaking their heads now too. I have read many that say extreme dry and heat brings them on, but we just finished record high rains this month with much flooding. I want to treat this in the most natural way possible. I am currently planning on treating with an antibacterial bath, followed up with neem oil, and putting Vaseline on their faces. I only have 5 chickens currently, so I'm hoping this won't be too difficult. I plan to treat the coop with bleach and the yard with sevin dust. Sevin dust will be a last option on the chickens themselves if the other doesn't work. Would there be any reason that we shouldn't eat the eggs after using Sevin dust?

I personally didn't use sevin dust. I vaselined their combs spread beneficial nematodes and used pyrethrum in their coop. Worked like a charm. I also used frontline on all my dogs and cats.

I don't have any chickens but this is the only place I could find info on sticktight fleas. I rescued some stray cats and they have these fleas stuck on the outer edges of their ears. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like Advantage or Frontline will work for this type of flea. Any tips to treat kittens and a young adult mama cat?

I don't have any chickens but this is the only place I could find info on sticktight fleas. I rescued some stray cats and they have these fleas stuck on the outer edges of their ears. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like Advantage or Frontline will work for this type of flea. Any tips to treat kittens and a young adult mama cat?

Welcome to BYC. Here's a link for you:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg236
Recommended treatments here:
http://www.drjeffnichol.com/?p=2686

Hello- I found this thread while trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my 4 chickens. I've verified that they do have stick tight fleas and I'm narrowing down how to treat it. Looks like sevin and Vaseline will be a starting point. Maybe neem oil too.
My concern is with sevin: is it safe for the chickens? Should we abstain from eating their eggs while they are being treated?
I'm in California and its been dry and hot.
Thank you!

Hello- I found this thread while trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my 4 chickens. I've verified that they do have stick tight fleas and I'm narrowing down how to treat it. Looks like sevin and Vaseline will be a starting point. Maybe neem oil too.
My concern is with sevin: is it safe for the chickens? Should we abstain from eating their eggs while they are being treated?
I'm in California and its been dry and hot.
Thank you!
Sevin is a poison. I would be very cautious with that. If you have anyway of getting DE and wood ash, I would combine the two, and use it. You can dust them yourself, and you can add it to any dust bathing holes they may have. I would also put DE in their nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom