Please help this fighter! Assisted hatch newborrn lying on it's side

ilikethedesert

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Easton, CT
I'm a first timer and followed all the rules and had only one chick hatch- who is cute as can be and doing great. Starting on day 22 I heard one other egg chirping so I excitedly watched it. By the end of day 23, it had become quieter and stopped rocking around. With help from the forums, I helped hatch the egg. I found the chick to basically glued into it's shell with a large air sac. It had pipped the membrane but couldn't get through the egg. I opened it up a bit, added as much humidity as possible and went to bed. (This all happened around midnight last night). There was a little blood so I stopped. I didn't really expect the chick to make it but this morning it was still breathing and trying to move. When I picked it up I realized it was drying out, even with the humidity and wet towel I had it resting on. This morning I used wet Q-tips and very slowly softened the dried areas and freed the stuck chick. No bleeding, yolk all absorbed and cord broke easily. I've wiped as much goo off the chick as I can, as it felt matted. The babe is lying on it's side, wiggling as if it wants to get up but can't. I haven't heard it chirp since this morning when I freed it from the egg. It has one deformed foot, that I may be able to help once it's stronger. Curled toes. Is there anything I can do to help this little one? It's such a fighter, I want to give it every chance!
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Oh- after hatching, it had a big poop. Dark green and white.

Hi There,
Just had something similar happen with my turkey poults, due to power outage and then generator outage, arrrggh! Helped one little guy out like you did, and he squirmed around on his side for about 12 hours. Left him in the incubator a little extra longer than the 10 others that managed to survive and hatch. Within 24 hours he was up but wobbly on his feet. Tried introducing him to the brooder, but he just flopped around there so put him back in the bator for another 24 hours. By the next day he was fine when I put him back in the brooder.

Curled toes I'm not sure about. Haven't had to deal with it yet. I've read on here you can bandage them to help straighten them out.

Good luck to you and the little guy!

Mine was already pipped when he got stuck. He was sticky like yours. I just left the goo alone. He seems to be drying out a fluffing up on his own, although his head still looks like he used too much styling gel.
lol.png

You've given me hope!! It's still on it's side. One leg- the curled toe one, seems stiff or something. But IT'S STARTED CHIRPING A LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
That's a good sign! More success stories please! Considering cancelling all my plans today so I can hover over my incubator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C'mon baby!!!

This one was on his side for quite awhile. Looked like he was having seizures. Kinda paddled around the bator on his side. Took him awhile to get upright, then he mostly just sat for awhile. He was pretty quiet the first day, even though he had voiced his opinion loudly about being stuck in that egg. He slept a lot.The second day he started calling to his bator mates-little chirps at first. By the morning of the day I put him in the brooder, he was calling loudly, lol, and they were answering him. That's why I figured he was ready.Now if it wasn't for his Elvis hair and the fact that he's a bit smaller than the others because he got a later start on the feed, I wouldn't be able to tell him apart from the others in the brooder. He started eating and drinking right away when I put him in the brooder the last time (he pooped in the bator). He grooms himself, although he falls over while he's doing it, lol.

I purposely took some time away from the bator once we got our blasted power back and went to the library for a few hours (one of my MAJOR stress relieving hobbies). Hovering is hard work and I needed a break.
lol.png
I think not having my face staring in the brooder every five minutes helped him rest a bit better too.
lol.png

I have had turkey poults and goslings hatch out that are weak and lying on their side. Since they have 3 days to absorb the yolk sac and survive I usually leave them alone to rest and gain some strength. If they appear wobbly trying to stand just observe and give them a few hours. Nature gives them the 3 days for a reason! good luck.

Quote:
I think it probably takes less energy for them to leave them closed. Energy conservation could help recovery from strenuous hatch. This one kept his eyes closed too at first.

Back
Top Bottom