Please help us identify an injury/disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dare 2 Dream Farm, May 16, 2011.

1. Dare 2 Dream Farm

Dare 2 Dream Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    One of our friends who we delivered chickens to has a little girl named Prima who needs your help! She is about a year and a half old. I have seen her, but can't identify the problem because the symptoms don't seem to match up. Here's what we saw, and the symptoms she told us about:

At first she noticed: diarrhea, soft-shelled egg.

We looked at Prima and identified: Active, healthy weight, healthy appetite for food and water, only slightly prolapsed vent (not bright red), secreting a lot of clear/white fluid.

Now she says: its not really that prolapsed, its really moist, still secreting lots of fluid, Prima is sleeping standing up during the day, congested.

I first thought prolapsed vent as a result of egg binding/calcium deficiency. But now I am worried that she is showing signs of sickness that sound like a respiratory infection. Is there anything I don't know about that could result in both groups of symptoms? She thinks maybe Coccidiosis, but I don't see how the soft-shelled egg or slightly prolapsed vent fit into that? [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Type in "vent gleet" in the BYC search box and read up on that. That's what it sounds like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by