Please help. Vet has no idea

Sorry your bird is sick. Did the vet say why he didn't think it was Marek's?

Can you post a video?
I’m trying to post a video and even at 4 seconds it’s saying too large?
The vet and everything I’ve read said Mareks is asymmetrical paralysis. He said her legs aren’t paralyzed they are hypertonic (spastic and rigid). She can flap both wings. She’s moving her neck fine to eat.

Video needs to be uploaded to the likes of You Tube/Vimeo etc and a link to it posted here. Marek's vaccine does not give 100% protection.
The "paralysis" is usually asymmetric with Marek's but there is such a huge variation with the disease from something as innocuous as a droopy eyelid to floundering on their side in the splits, with everything in between, that nothing is set in stone. I have certainly seen the posture your bird is exhibiting in Marek's birds. The type of "paralysis" can also vary from an inability to "feel" or control a muscle, giving rise to a drunken type of demeanour to a more rigid, spasm of the muscle. It may be that the lack of sensory feedback from a limb causes them to tense perhaps as a panic response, but they may still have the ability to move that limb when stimulated.

Video needs to be uploaded to the likes of You Tube/Vimeo etc and a link to it posted here. Marek's vaccine does not give 100% protection.
The "paralysis" is usually asymmetric with Marek's but there is such a huge variation with the disease from something as innocuous as a droopy eyelid to floundering on their side in the splits, with everything in between, that nothing is set in stone. I have certainly seen the posture your bird is exhibiting in Marek's birds. The type of "paralysis" can also vary from an inability to "feel" or control a muscle, giving rise to a drunken type of demeanour to a more rigid, spasm of the muscle. It may be that the lack of sensory feedback from a limb causes them to tense perhaps as a panic response, but they may still have the ability to move that limb when stimulated.
I’ve spent the last week caring for her and researching. My fear has been Mareks. My hope is it’s not. Thank you.

It is not always a death sentence. I have had several survive outbreaks. Of course they will always be prone to subsequent attacks but quality of life can be normal in between, sometimes for years. Keeping them happy and stress free is key and the strain of virus your flock have contracted. The one I have is a milder one. I still lose birds but it is maybe 50/50 that they will survive and many do not get the disease. Unfortunately there are hotter, more aggressive strains that will wipe out almost a whole flock of young birds. Since your birds are vaccinated, this one stands a good chance of recovery. For information, the longest I have supported one that achieved enough of a recovery to return to free ranging with the flock was 4 months. She was pretty much nest bound for the first 2months and several times I set a date to end it but she was still bright eyed and eating and prepared to fight it and I had to give her the chance. She eventually relearned to walk, albeit with a limp but got more proficient as weeks went by and could get up onto the highest 6ft roost with the other hens on a night.
Now I only give up on them when they stop eating and lose the will to live.

Thank you. The vet posted her case to a national avian consult board. She’s so bright eyed and talks a lot so I feel I have to keep trying. She has a big appetite. She tried to fly when she sees her friends. I got 4 girls at the same time and the others are fine. Darla was doing great and then suddenly this started happening. It’s very heartbreaking. Thank you for your encouragement.

Those are all very positive signs if it is in fact Marek's. Being bright eyed and keen to eat is one of the anomalies of the disease in the early stages. If it was a vitamin deficiency or botulism or some of the other things that people often suggest, they would not have that bright eyed "healthy" look or good appetite, in my opinion.

I know and sympathise regarding the heart break. It eats you up, especially when things go down hill after you have battled it for weeks or months and you have to make a difficult decision at the end of it, but pretty joyous when they make a recovery. As with everything in life there are ups and downs and you don't have much choice about it. :hugs

She was vaccinated for Mareks. From my understanding Mareks is usually asymmetrical paralysis usually of the leg and wing (often presents as split legs). The tumors are on the sciatic nerve which gives it the asymmetrical presentation. She can move her legs, flap her wings and also use her neck to eat. Her legs are spastic and hypertonic. He said he’s never seen Mareks present this way.

I’m having a hard time uploading a video. They all say too large.
The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus and it doesn't always prevent all the symptoms.
I am sorry.
Hopefully the vitamins give her a boost and she continues to get better.
I wonder if she could have been possible pecked too hard in the head?

My vet is treating her for enterococcus which gets in the spine and causes leg symptoms. He spoke to some avian experts and this is the recommendation so far. They really do not think Mareks. No meningitis and not related to head pecking. Enterococcus cecorum is treatable initially but efficacy decreases once it progresses. We have her on SubQ fluids and vitamins and starting Augmentin tonight. I’m hoping she pulls thru.

My vet is treating her for enterococcus which gets in the spine and causes leg symptoms. He spoke to some avian experts and this is the recommendation so far. They really do not think Mareks. No meningitis and not related to head pecking. Enterococcus cecorum is treatable initially but efficacy decreases once it progresses. We have her on SubQ fluids and vitamins and starting Augmentin tonight. I’m hoping she pulls thru.
A bacterial infection...strange. I hope the antibiotics work.

Back
Top Bottom