PLEASE HELP WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING!!

Jul 19, 2021
Montgomery county ny
so we have a rooster who when was young got all his back feathers plucked off by escapee ducks it has now been about 2 1\2 months and majority of his back is healed but the tail just wont heal we have tried everything we have put saddles on him we have completely wraped it we put on a dog cone we have segragated the chickens who were pecking it but he is his own enemy and all tactics have failed we even posted on tiktok and got expert help thats where most of the ideas came from but all have failed please if there is anything we can do we doctor him every night with iodine and chicken medicines and everything the internet has said but nothing works he literally picks himself we are trying not to seperate him so he doesnt lose his flock because he is a rooster we want him to keep control of his hens and all but please let us now what we can do

Attachments

• 20210719_200136_Film1.jpg
    20210719_200136_Film1.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210719_200057_Film1.jpg
    20210719_200057_Film1.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210719_200116_Film1.jpg
    20210719_200116_Film1.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210719_200128_Film1.jpg
    20210719_200128_Film1.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 17
so we have a rooster who when was young got all his back feathers plucked off by escapee ducks it has now been about 2 1\2 months and majority of his back is healed but the tail just wont heal we have tried everything we have put saddles on him we have completely wraped it we put on a dog cone we have segragated the chickens who were pecking it but he is his own enemy and all tactics have failed we even posted on tiktok and got expert help thats where most of the ideas came from but all have failed please if there is anything we can do we doctor him every night with iodine and chicken medicines and everything the internet has said but nothing works he literally picks himself we are trying not to seperate him so he doesnt lose his flock because he is a rooster we want him to keep control of his hens and all but please let us now what we can do
Hopefully, he can pull through, but culling may be an answer for you. That looks painful.

Some people have success with pine tar. I have not tried it. My rooster still has no tail feathers following my "used to be a jerk, has now has grown up a little bit but still isn't allowed around chickens" German Shepherd's attack.

If the wounds are open, try keeping him in a large kennel or fenced off area of the coop until he heals. He will still be able to see the girls, but they won't be able to peck him.

In human medical school we have a rotation through Dermatology and a class in it. The first day, no matter what medical school you go to, the person walks in and says they are going to sum up ALL of Dermatology in one sentence: "If it's wet, dry it and if it's dry, wet it." This idea works! SOoooo following that, you need to soak, because soaks are actually drying to the tissue. As a human doctor who uses Betadine soaks, they are not good. In some people and animals Betadine (Iodine) actually irritates the wound and prevents it from healing. He needs an oral/injection of antibiotic. A MUCH better option for soaking is Hibiclens (in the wound care isle at the pharmacy) apply diluted 50/50 with water for 10 minutes and gently rub area. After 10 minutes rinse and dry the area. This continues to kill all fungus, yeast, bacteria, and viruses for a full 24 hours. Then you need an antibiotic powder. There is most likely a concurrent fungal infection. The best medication for fungus and yeast is Lamasil but it doesn't come in powder. The cream would be a second best. If you give the chicken an oral/injectible antibiotic, I'd treat the wound with Lamasil because the antibiotic will take care of the infection. I'd soak and wrap twice a day.

Isolate him and either bandage with vetwrap or fix it so he can't reach it. In 2-3 days you'll see improvement if you get oral/injectible antibiotics. If not maybe a week.

I might try soaking him in a shallow warm pan of Epsom salts water for about 15-20 minutes a day. Then apply some plain antibiotic ointment or menthol ointment. A wire dog crate with food and water, and kept with his flock where he can see them might be good to keep any others from pecking him. Menthol is helpful to prevent itching or burning. If a vet is available and affordable, that would be a good idea. Hibiclens or chlorhexidene is a good disinfectant, so if an infection is suspected that can be good to apply with a little water.

Lots of great advice from others, all of which I agree with, plus the advice about Tiktok.

It appears to me he's infected. An oral antibiotic would help. I've had good luck with Silvadene. It's prescription, but it's terrific at keeping infection at bay and promoting new tissue growth. It also tastes terrible and he may decide to quit picking at his wound.

Back
Top Bottom