please help! Weak, wheezing, not eating or drinking hen

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
hi. i posted yesterday a similar post but only got one response. i have 8 hens and a rooster and a few days ago one of my rhode island reds was not herself. laying down in the coop when others were out pecking around in the run, etc. last night when i got home, she was on the coop floor while the others were up on their roosting bars because i'm assuming she wasn't able to get up there. i put her in a cage, separated her from the flock and she spent the night in the house where it was warm. this mornng she is still weak and is not interested in food or drink. she is closing her eyes a lot, is weak and is wheezing, a little gurgling, when she breathes. her comb looks normal color and her vent is clean. she only had one small poop all last night. anybody have any suggestions or ideas? i just don't know what to do.

I don't think anyone will be able to say it is this or that with any degree of accuracy. based on info provided.

Look up CRD (Chronic respritory diseases) in chickens. There are a number of them,
(short forms) IB ILT, MG, Coryza and NC.

If you read through the symptoms and compare to what you are seeing you should get a better idea of what is going with your chicken(s) and what treatment options might be best. Keep in mind though, you don't always see every symptom listed for any given problem and you can get more than one problem at a time which also can make symptoms difficult to distinguish.

Also poor air quality can cause respritory problems, so that is something else to rule out or confirm.

Years ago I had a similar problem (knock on wood not with our current flock), but I think there was an antibiotic we used from tractor supply and it worked great. I can't remember the name of it but someone else might know. It was something we had to inject I think into the leg muscle with a needle. Keeping her indoors is definitely a good idea with it being cold. Oh wait, maybe it was called Tylan! Look it up! People locally said it works from any respiratory gurgling type thing with chickens, and they were sure right in our case. We had already tried some type of powder added to their water and that didn't do any good at all. It is possible your other chickens could catch it also so I would get the Tylan and be ready to use. I think you could just not eat the eggs for awhile but in winter sometimes they're not laying anyway.

Years ago I had a similar problem (knock on wood not with our current flock), but I think there was an antibiotic we used from tractor supply and it worked great.  I can't remember the name of it but someone else might know.  It was something we had to inject I think into the leg muscle with a needle.  Keeping her indoors is definitely a good idea with it being cold.  Oh wait, maybe it was called Tylan!  Look it up!  People locally said it works from any respiratory gurgling type thing with chickens, and they were sure right in our case. We had already tried some type of powder added to their water and that didn't do any good at all.  It is possible your other chickens could catch it also so I would get the Tylan and be ready to use.  I think you could just not eat the eggs for awhile but in winter sometimes they're not laying anyway.

Thanks, I found other posts about Tylan, and gave her some, hopefully we're not too late

Oh! My chicken has the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW! And I am quite scared!!! Please tell me if it had worked...

Back
Top Bottom