Please help! What sex are my 3 week old chicks

bayouhomestead

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Southern Louisiana
Good morning BYC... Can you please help me with your expertise.. I have a golden Wyandotte

A partridge Cochin

And a welsummer or leghorn?

At this point, I'm going to say all are cockerels. They're getting surprisingly bright combs, and your two partridges (definitely a Welsummer) are getting black on the chest, which means they're boys. Wait and see with them, but unless their chests are solid salmon/rust colored, they're boys. My boy Welsummer has black patches on a red background; the girl has one even salmon one-tone on her breast. All partridge colors should do this.

Usually girls feather faster, but it's no guarantee. Brahmas (and possibly Cochin) all seem to feather slow, whereas all of my EEs have gone fast. GLW I have less experience with, and I'm still not sure about the one I have (and it's twice the age of yours). Watch and see how quickly who grows stiff butt feathers (girls will generally do this faster, but again, Brahmas/Cochins do everything slower than the other breeds, to my experience, regardless of gender though girls will still usually do it faster than boys).

Your Golden Laced Wyandotte may be a cockerel (based on comb width/redness). The Partridge Cochin appears to be a pullet. The breast coloring on the Welsummer or Leghorn makes me think pullet, but the comb redness makes it seem like a cockerel.

I'm not sure about the breast color of the cochin and Welsummer. There's a hand in the way of the former, and the wellie looks like it's getting black blotches on the feathers. It's a wait and see on them.

Thank you for your input. I have suspected roo's for all 3 for some time but I could easily be wrong. I am thinking about keeping one for the flock. I hear they can be great protectors against predators

Last edited:
Your Golden Laced Wyandotte may be a cockerel (based on comb width/redness). The Partridge Cochin appears to be a pullet. The breast coloring on the Welsummer or Leghorn makes me think pullet, but the comb redness makes it seem like a cockerel.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom