Please Help, what's wrong with my rooster?

I'm beginning to think it is pox as numerous people have been telling me that, it would be impossible for it to be frostbite as they are in a heated coupe and don't go out much, does anyone know how I clean his comb and if the hens will definitely get the pox too as there is no way to separate them, should I also start giving them Tylan injections? Thankyou

I'm beginning to think it is pox as numerous people have been telling me that, it would be impossible for it to be frostbite as they are in a heated coupe and don't go out much, does anyone know how I clean his comb and if the hens will definitely get the pox too as there is no way to separate them, should I also start giving them Tylan injections? Thankyou
Nope, I doubt it is pox since you don't have mosquitoes this time of year. I would agree with the person who said it was frostbite, and he may have been pecked or injured the comb. It will probably heal up with some rounded tips eventually. He looks pale or grayish in his picture. I would warm him up, and give him vitamins with electrolytes, add some water to a small amount of his feed, and feed him some extra protein from chopped egg, tuna, or some liver. Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell tonics from the feed store would be a good vitamin/electrolyte--the sodage is 3 ml daily by mouth.

Birds can still get frostbite in a warm coop. If there is too much humidity in the air in your coop or if your roost bar in located where a draft comes in. They can get frostbite at night when they are all snuggled up breathing. We had to place a buffer board on a angle in front of our big area that was completely ventilated from one end of the coop to the other. The roost bars were below this, so when they roosted at night there body heat & breathing warmed the air, but the draft coming in from the ventilation was cold causing condensation. Causing frostbite to the larger comb breeds. This year we have a angled board up there where it still vents the coop but can't blow cold air on the birds roosting below. My one rooster that has stuff similar looking to yours is in a different coop with all roo's. There's been some squables between them & some bloody combs. I spray blukoat on their combs when they are bloody looking to keep the other birds from picking at them. Just be careful not to get it in his eyes. Sure hope he gets better soon.

I'd listen to granny, eggcessive and chicken lady and the others here that says frostbite . They have a whole lot more experience then me. I was just trying to get someone over here that knew what it was . Good luck. Hope he gets better.

Red, you are such a sweetheart.
hugs.gif

Nope, I doubt it is pox since you don't have mosquitoes this time of year. I would agree with the person who said it was frostbite, and he may have been pecked or injured the comb. It will probably heal up with some rounded tips eventually. He looks pale or grayish in his picture. I would warm him up, and give him vitamins with electrolytes, add some water to a small amount of his feed, and feed him some extra protein from chopped egg, tuna, or some liver. Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell tonics from the feed store would be a good vitamin/electrolyte--the sodage is 3 ml daily by mouth.
Okay I'm going to give him extra vitamins and electrolytes but he's still having a hard time breathing and not crowing Thankyou

Okay I'm going to give him extra vitamins and electrolytes but he's still having a hard time breathing and not crowing Thankyou

have you looked inside his mouth . check for gape worms . I have never seen them so not sure what to look for but have been told they are visible.

He could be having a respiratory infection or a heart problem. Frostbite can cause a lot of pain, and he may not be eating/drinking enough. If he is having respiratory symptoms such as gasping or rattles breathing, then an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 given orally, or oxytetracycline in his water might help. I would get him warm inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom