please help with 2 hens and a roo

If guessing the hens are still somewhat young why oh why wont they lay any eggs!!! We have had them about 7ish months and not the first egg!! I dont know maybe we dont have their surroundings right. Thanks for the help in determining what they are!!

Generally speaking, 4 years old isn't exactly young for a bird. By their second year, the hens slow down in egg production. By their third, you're lucky to get 3 eggs a week from them.

Most people cull their laying hens after the first year since the egg production won't be anywhere near what the first production year was.

Oh, and we have some hens nearing 3 years who are still crankin' them out
wink.png

They look just like my Modern Black-Breasted Red Games from McMurray. The breed was developed for looks and doesn't lay many eggs (about 1/3-1/2 as much as other breeds).

Guess what you want, they are still American Gamefowl. I don't know how someone could guess the age of the hen unless they are looking at the spurs, which cannot be used to age a game hen. Some hens grow spurs, some don't. They are usually grown out all the farther they are going to grow at about 2. They are not a layer breed, therefore they aren't gonna shat out eggs this time of year. Unless they have the right feed, and the right amount of daylight, you aren't going to see eggs. Jungle fowl would not give you yellow legs like the rooster has, and the pea combness of them suggests some oriental influence, thus the American Gamefowl. Good luck with your new birds, they are very nice looking....

Quote:
Agreed. I am surprised though that they aren't laying. You probably need more hens. What else would someone from BYC tell you?

Back
Top Bottom