Please help with breed pronounciation!

Okay, here's another one: how do you pronounce Chantecler? And which syllable is accented?

I've heard all of the following:

SHAHN te cler

SHAHN te cleer

Shan TE cler

Chan TE cler

I have a rooster who's name is Chanticleer (pronounced SHON-ti-CLEER)

And I'm thinking Chanticler is pronounced "SHON-ti-CLER"

By the way, I got the name from Geoffrey Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". There was a cute story about a majestic roo named "Chanticleer". Here is a quote:

"Crowned at birth with the name of Chanticleer, no cockerel in the land could crow more gloriously. His head was emblazoned with a comb-crest as scarlet as deep-sea coral, crenellated like the battlements of a castle wall. His beak gleamed like the blackest jet, and his legs and feet were of a blue to equal the blue ceiling of the world... Mantling his noble shoulders was a cloak of plumes the color of burnished gold.
"This paragon of cockerels had a harem of seven lovely wives, each of their gowns tinted with the same sublime gold. But the fairest by far-whose throat was mottled with the very colors of beauty-was Madame Pertelote.
"Was there ever such a charming, witty, courteous cultured companion than this gracious bird? Chanticleer loved Madame Pertelote with a passionate tenderness, and together they sang love duets. If you have ever heard the voices of a cock and hen, I daresay you can imagine how sweetly those two sang!"

So whoever started the "Chanticler" breed must have liked this story!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hahaha!! I had someone ask me about my "duckles"...
lol.png
The d' is a very short "dew" sound, followed by CLAY. dew-CLAY. It's just about the only French I know!
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Hahaha!! I had someone ask me about my "duckles"...
lol.png
The d' is a very short "dew" sound, followed by CLAY. dew-CLAY. It's just about the only French I know!
smile.png

But d'uccle isn't French--it's Flemish​

Quote:
But d'uccle isn't French--it's Flemish

It is?!? But... I thought I read that they came from Belgium, the town of d'Uccle, so be specific, and that it was a French speaking area... OMG... I'm so confused!!
barnie.gif

Well, at least I know it's not pronounced "duckles".
lau.gif

LOL!
th.gif

Last edited:
gig.gif
no wonder why i failed English so much.
gig.gif

I have to thank you for starting this thread. Now i know how to pronounce to names the proper way.

Back
Top Bottom