PLEASE HELP WITH SICK CHICK

Nectarine

Chirping
Sep 9, 2021
One of our hens hatched in the dumbest sport where no water or food was available to her chicks, we’ve given them food and water and all seems fine besides one chick who’s barely standing up and has her eyes closed. She’s chirping a decent amount and occasionally wriggling but she’s mainly on her side struggling. I honestly don’t think there’s hope for her but I swear to god. I’ve started holding her head up and trying to give her water but she’s not eating any food and she rarely opens her eyes. She was covered in dirt when I went out today and completely abandoned by her sisters and mother hen. She looks extremely weak and idk what to do. She’s trying her best but I’m worried it’s not enough

Attachments

• 81255211-7275-4D0D-ABE0-D5D3C5C7B59E.jpeg
    81255211-7275-4D0D-ABE0-D5D3C5C7B59E.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 19
Nutri-Drench is good to have on hand for days like this.

Be prepared because she probably isn't going to make it.
Remember you have to be very careful when trying to force a chick to drink because if you force one drop down the wrong pipe there is no doubt the bird will die.

It's best to hold a spoon up to the beak and let them drink on their own.

Are you keeping her warm?

Nutri-Drench is good to have on hand for days like this.

Be prepared because she probably isn't going to make it.
Remember you have to be very careful when trying to force a chick to drink because if you force one drop down the wrong pipe there is no doubt the bird will die.

It's best to hold a spoon up to the beak and let them drink on their own.

Are you keeping her warm?
I’m keeping her as warm as I can though we don’t have a brooder so it’s definitely not enough but I’m thinking of putting her under a currently broody hen once she gets a little better. I’m pretty sure we have something like nutri drench so I’ll get that. I’ve also been holding a bottle cap to her beak which she will occasionally drink out of but that’s occasionally. Thank you I really hope she makes it but I’m not to sure

I completely agree with Kiki's method here. You could dip her beak in the spoon of water if she won't take it up herself but don't try to put it in her mouth. If she has any desire to live, she will take the water from the spoon.
If you don't have Nutri-drench tonight (try to get it as soon as possible), you can add just a few bits of feed to the water, basically just make brown water with the food, make sure it's completely dissolved before giving it to her. I call this "brown water"
You can use a heating pad for her, just make sure that it doesn't get too hot, she needs to be approximately 95 degrees (94 - 97), don't leave her alone while she's on it, use a thermometer to determine the temp on the pad, wrap the pad in a towel to keep the temp where it should be. If you can keep the pad between 94 and 96 degrees you could also make a little "tunnel" to give her heat all the way around. Just please, please, keep a close eye on the temperature, if you make the tunnel, the temp could go up.

I completely agree with Kiki's method here. You could dip her beak in the spoon of water if she won't take it up herself but don't try to put it in her mouth. If she has any desire to live, she will take the water from the spoon.
If you don't have Nutri-drench tonight (try to get it as soon as possible), you can add just a few bits of feed to the water, basically just make brown water with the food, make sure it's completely dissolved before giving it to her. I call this "brown water"
You can use a heating pad for her, just make sure that it doesn't get too hot, she needs to be approximately 95 degrees (94 - 97), don't leave her alone while she's on it, use a thermometer to determine the temp on the pad, wrap the pad in a towel to keep the temp where it should be. If you can keep the pad between 94 and 96 degrees you could also make a little "tunnel" to give her heat all the way around. Just please, please, keep a close eye on the temperature, if you make the tunnel, the temp could go up.
Thank you for the advice with the heat pack :) I do have to dip her beak into the water tho I don’t have to force it down, she takes a bit and tries to drink it. I’ve also noticed that she’s making an odd noise and is slowly wiggling back into what I can only describe as what she would look like while still in the egg. Im worried that the water went down the wrong pipe so im trying to be extremely careful and listen to her breathing. I don’t believe she’s going to make it but I’ll keep up with it until I know for sure, there’s no use giving up on her just yet

Attachments

• DDC01F4F-155F-4988-ABC5-570232840F5A.jpeg
    DDC01F4F-155F-4988-ABC5-570232840F5A.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 5
I have had success reviving a very weak chick that didn't want to eat or drink by putting a little bit of egg yolk on the side of her beak. As soon as she got some of that, I also took a dropper and put a drop of water on the side of her beak, and she began drinking. It really helped her. I had her under a heat lamp on a paper towel in the half of my brooder I section off for isolation. She is still in isolation because her vent was getting pecked and her feathers need to grow in some so they'll leave her alone. I let her out under supervision only so she doesn't get pecked for now, but she's doing much better.

Hello, for the people who have given me advice I have to say that in the few minutes I went to get her some more things she passed. She passed after struggling out of what I wrapped her in with both her eyes open. hopefully from now on all the chicks we have will be healthy

Back
Top Bottom