Please help with sick peacock

It isn't necessarily something you have done, she may have brought something with her and it has developed to the point that it is now bringing her down. My first thought here is worms or maybe Coccidiosis, It is recommended to keep chicks off the ground for twelve weeks and fed medicated feed for that entire time to help boost their immune system. Since you have other birds on the property either of those two things may be in her system.

I have two broody raised chicks left, the third died from worms and had the same symptoms you are describing. Read the thread 'Safeguard and Feather Damage while Molting' for more details and dosing. You can also dose with Corid at the same time as dosing with Safeguard. If the chick can not eat the meds can be drizzled down the throat by syringe without needle. Also read the thread about Corid near the top of the forum list started by CaSportPony.

So you dont think it a respiratory infection? We also think she was sick when we got her, her wings just droop down and we think thats why the people we got them from wanted to sale her unfortunately! Im happy I bought her because I know I can save her......I hope I can save her. Should I keep her in the hours for now on until she's better? How long should I keep her separate from the others and is it contagious to my other pea's? Thank you so much!

A week ago her left nostril was all clogged up so I put her in my lap and used a warm washcloth to clear it out. Theirs no discharge from her eyes or her mouth. Its kind of like when we have a cold and cant breath out of our nose, when she sleeps her mouth is constantly opening and closing gasping for air.

It could be a combination of things... worms, coccidisosis and respiratory infection. She should be inside in a warm room (80-85 degrees) and she should be weighed daily on a digital kitchen scale. Any loss or lack of gain and you will need to tube feed her, which I can teach you to do if you get the supplies. Is she drinking and eating?

-Kathy

A week ago her left nostril was all clogged up so I put her in my lap and used a warm washcloth to clear it out. Theirs no discharge from her eyes or her mouth. Its kind of like when we have a cold and cant breath out of our nose, when she sleeps her mouth is constantly opening and closing gasping for air.
It could be gapeworms, but it could also be a respiratory infection.

-Kathy

I usually put iut enuf food and water for her so I can see how much she's drinkin and eating and she seems to do okay. I have been putting her electrolytes in her water as well as the antibiotic Terra-vet 10. I have had her for 4 weeks now and the only thing that has grown on her is her crown feathers. What medications should I give her for the worms? The antibiotic isn't working if it was a respiratory infection. Its driving me crazy because I want her to get better and I love her so much I just dont feel like im doing enuf for her!

I usually put iut enuf food and water for her so I can see how much she's drinkin and eating and she seems to do okay. I have been putting her electrolytes in her water as well as the antibiotic Terra-vet 10. I have had her for 4 weeks now and the only thing that has grown on her is her crown feathers. What medications should I give her for the worms? The antibiotic isn't working if it was a respiratory infection. Its driving me crazy because I want her to get better and I love her so much I just dont feel like im doing enuf for her!
The antibiotics you're using don't usually work for most people. I would try Baytril, buy you could try Tylan.
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html

Can you keep her in a warm room and weigh her?

To worm her I would give her Safeguard liquid orally at 0.23ml per pound for five days in a row. You can get Safeguard liquid for goats at Tractor Supply.

-Kathy

I dont have any way to weigh her but my guess is she's about a1lb at the most 2lbs I wish I had a way to know for sure. How much Tylan should I give her if she's in that weight range?

Back
Top Bottom