Please help with sick peacock

I learned alot from those article's!!! Thank you so much. I truly think she has Gapeworm and somebody's on this forum had told me thats what they thought was wrong with her and I think so to. She's was breathing with her beak wide open then closed just gasping for air. Now she's breathing with her beak closed but I listened to her chest last night and it still sounds gurgling like shes having trouble breathing. I have been babying her for almost 3 weeks now and she doing better then ever befor. I want to thank every body for all the great information and help they have provided
1f60a.png
you have all played a part in helping me keep my pea baby alive!

I learned alot from those article's!!! Thank you so much. I truly think she has Gapeworm and somebody's on this forum had told me thats what they thought was wrong with her and I think so to. She's was breathing with her beak wide open then closed just gasping for air. Now she's breathing with her beak closed but I listened to her chest last night and it still sounds gurgling like shes having trouble breathing. I have been babying her for almost 3 weeks now and she doing better then ever befor. I want to thank every body for all the great information and help they have provided
1f60a.png
you have all played a part in helping me keep my pea baby alive!
Those are good articles, but many of the medication doses are incorrect. If you want to treat for gapes you could try Safeguard 3-5 days in a row at 0.23 ml per pound. Five days in a row will also get Capillary worms, so that's what I would do if she were mine.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2653&Itemid=2942
Harm caused by Syngamus trachea, symptoms and diagnosis

Syngamus trachea can be very harmful, especially for young birds. They are usually not a problem in modern operations under confinement conditions. But they can be a serious problem in free-range poultry, particularly if the birds have access to humid environments with abundant intermediate hosts (earthworms, snails, etc.). These worms are often a problem in pheasant farms. In regions with a cold winter infections occur mainly during late spring and summer, along with the peaks in the populations of intermediate hosts.
A few worms are usually well tolerated, especially by adult birds, which usually develop natural resistance if previously exposed to the worms. But in heavy infections the worms cause inflammation of the wall of the trachea and an increased mucus production, sometimes mixed with blood leaking from the small injuries caused by the worms. Clinical signs include coughing, sneezing and respiratory disturbances. Initially the birds try to expel the worms vigorously shaking their heads. Later they repeatedly gape and breathe with a hissing sound. They refuse to drink, lose appetite and weight and become apathetic. Anemia can also occur. Deaths can happen, particularly in young birds.
Diagnosis can be confirmed in young birds through direct observation of the trachea against a strong light (after displacing the neck feathers and pulling the skin): adult worms can be seen inside the trachea. Characteristic eggs can also be detected in samples of the feces or of tracheal mucus.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2649&Itemid=2938
Harm caused by Capillaria worms, symptoms and diagnosis

Capillaria annulata and Capillaria contorta are the most damaging species. They can seriously harm the lining of the crop and the esophagus, especially in turkeys end pheasants, but also in chicken up to 4 months old. The lining of the crop and the esophagus becomes inflamed and swollen, which can make swallowing impossible for affected birds. Fatalities are frequent in cases of heavy infections.
The species in the intestine get into the villi and even into the intestinal glands, and in case of heavy infections they can cause enteritis and fibrosis.
Predominant clinical signs, mainly in young birds are diarrhea (mucous or even liquid), anemia, apathy, ruffled feathers, loss of appetite and weight, reduced egg production in layers, etc. Affected ducklings may not properly swim.
Diagnosis is based on detection of typical eggs in the feces and/or on identification of the worms in their predilection sites after necropsy.

-Kathy

Gape worm treatment.

The Veterinary Parasitologhy Reference Manual to use 0.14 ml per pound (30mg/kg) for five days, but I would increase to 0.23ml per pound and treat for capillary worms, too.

Pictures:

-Kathy

My husband is going to get some safeguard for her on his way home from work
1f60a.png
shes eating really well I have been putting the Tylan 50 on her 22%mediated protein crumbles twice a day starting yesterday and she eats everything I put on her tray. So thats a great sign when befor she wasn't eating much at all. Now with the safeguard is it okay to use the Tylan 50 along with the safeguard at the same time?

My husband is going to get some safeguard for her on his way home from work
1f60a.png
shes eating really well I have been putting the Tylan 50 on her 22%mediated protein crumbles twice a day starting yesterday and she eats everything I put on her tray. So thats a great sign when befor she wasn't eating much at all. Now with the safeguard is it okay to use the Tylan 50 along with the safeguard at the same time?
Yes, you can use them at the same time, but give the Safeguard orally, don't mix it in her feed.

-Kathy

Quote: I don't have a good answer for that, lol. All I can really say is that I don't like the idea of mixing more than one drug in their food or water and that doing so might make them not eat or drink enough. Technically, if they can be given orally at the same time it shouldn't matter, but you know me, lol, it's down the throat for all meds, especially if I have just one bird to treat.

-Kathy

I don't have a good answer for that, lol. All I can really say is that I don't like the idea of mixing more than one drug in their food or water and that doing so might make them not eat or drink enough. Technically, if they can be given orally at the same time it shouldn't matter, but you know me, lol, it's down the throat for all meds, especially if I have just one bird to treat.

-Kathy

I thought it might have something to do with changing the chemical structure of the chems then again if you put both in the mouth of the bird at the same time how could it matter? Then I thought that some of the meds might stay in the bowl and not get into the bird, but that seemed unlikely too.

At one time my vet had me giving a duplex shot of Baytril and Penicillin. She also had me putting both Corid and Safeguard in the mash at the same time so I doubt it would be less effective. We both know that as long as the med gets into the birds system that is what is most important.

Back
Top Bottom