Please help with sick peacock

Im trying to answer all the questions
263a.png
he does perch at night and he walks normal and when he runs he doesnt always hop. When I get home this afternoon im going to catch him and take some pics that are more clear.

Shay, your boy may be too big to just pick him up and flip him over, but if you did you would see a difference in normal legs and legs affected by Twisted Tibia. Peas thought these pictures might be helpful. These chicks are much younger so it was easy to do this.

Normal legs both parallel and pointing straight ahead.

This chick had TT, the hobble brace is holding them together, but you can see how the legs are starting to point in different directions.

If he can run normally he is probably okay, but you should keep an eye on him. Mine with the TT eventually could not run normally they ran with a "Galloping" gait.

Just an FYI while we are discussing TT, it is way more prevalent in males than in females. Of my 5 that had it 4 were males and 1 was a female and the female was the mildest case, she may not have even had it, but I was so paranoid I treated her anyway.

Just an FYI while we are discussing TT, it is way more prevalent in males than in females. Of my 5 that had it 4 were males and 1 was a female and the female was the mildest case, she may not have even had it, but I was so paranoid I treated her anyway.
Interesting... why do you think that is?

-Kathy

Interesting... why do you think that is?

-Kathy

Wow, I never heard that before! But it makes lots of sense. My lame bird is male, maybe I mentioned.

Everything I've seen on TT suggests it is related to bone growth in some way. It happens when the birds are rapidly growing, and there are persistent suggestions that birds on high protein diets and/or who are growing quickly may be more susceptible.

Our chicks start out nearly the same size, but by adulthood, males are significantly bigger. It seems like the males have to grow somewhat "faster" if they are getting bigger than the females during the same time period. In other words, their bone structure would be adding more mineral than a female bird's bone structure during the same amount of time.

If this condition is related to bone growth and more often seen in birds which have conditions which favor very rapid growth, then it would make sense to me that the birds that are growing the very fastest... the males... could be more frequently affected than the birds which are growing somewhat slower.

But who knows? I just wish I had known how to fix my poor Peanut
hit.gif

Wow, I never heard that before! But it makes lots of sense. My lame bird is male, maybe I mentioned.

Everything I've seen on TT suggests it is related to bone growth in some way. It happens when the birds are rapidly growing, and there are persistent suggestions that birds on high protein diets and/or who are growing quickly may be more susceptible.

Our chicks start out nearly the same size, but by adulthood, males are significantly bigger. It seems like the males have to grow somewhat "faster" if they are getting bigger than the females during the same time period. In other words, their bone structure would be adding more mineral than a female bird's bone structure during the same amount of time.

If this condition is related to bone growth and more often seen in birds which have conditions which favor very rapid growth, then it would make sense to me that the birds that are growing the very fastest... the males... could be more frequently affected than the birds which are growing somewhat slower.

But who knows? I just wish I had known how to fix my poor Peanut
hit.gif

X2, I found that little nugget in the TT studies done on Broilers. I also figured it was due to the boys being slightly larger than the girls.

I just got hoem and this morning when I weighed Little Eagle befor I gave her her meds and befor she ate she weighed 2.5lbs and out of curiosity I weighed her brother Little Blue and he is 4.2lbs so as a result of her being sick she has some catching up to do!!! Shes doing great today! Better then yesterday!

I just got hoem and this morning when I weighed Little Eagle befor I gave her her meds and befor she ate she weighed 2.5lbs and out of curiosity I weighed her brother Little Blue and he is 4.2lbs so as a result of her being sick she has some catching up to do!!! Shes doing great today! Better then yesterday!
2.5 pounds = 1136 grams and 4.2 pounds = 1909 grams, so yes, she behind, but not too much. At this age my boys weigh about 300 grams more than the girls.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom