** Please help with sour crop or worms with sick hen***

Quote:
The only medicated feeds i am aware of would contain either antibiotics or amprolium, which is for the prevention of coccidiosis. Based on that knowledge, no, i would definitely not recommend a medicated feed for 24 week old chickens. If your chickens did have coccidiosis, and i strongly doubt that they do, i would strongly recommend liquid amprolium in their water. The medicated feed is for the prevention of cocci in chicks - and very often fails to do even that.

I don't ever think antibiotics are a good idea when you don't know what's wrong.

My recommendation would be lots of scrambled or boiled eggs as a supplement for your recovering hen.

If all your chickens are laying age hens, then i see no problem with continuing them on a layer feed. If you're having problems with egg quality, consider a calcium supplement such as oyster shell.

Please forgive me if i'm telling you to do something you're already doing. I keep re-reading your OP, but sometimes i forget what it said.
wink.png

For Honey, i would just keep pushing the ACV, plain yogurt, and eggs, until she really perks up.

(I had a short power outage in the middle of posting this, so if it seems like i lost my train of thought, i did.)

All the best for you and Honey.

I just read your last post. The only think i can think of is to look down her throat (and no, she won't want to let you) and see if you see anything stuck that you might be able to pull out.

As to her breast bone, what do you feel if you attempt to pinch it with your thumb and first finger? How much meat vs. just bone do you pinch?

very little meat, just a paper thin layer then hard bone. I can even feed ridges in the bone. They do have oyster shell grit available to them at all times.

It sounds to me like she may very well have gapeworm. I have had this problem, MANY times and have successfully treated it with "safeguard" paste wormer for horses. Put a small amount (about the size of an eraser) into her mouth. If she will eat for you, you can put in to canned cat or dog food. (most chickens love it). I've brought chickens back from the dead with this. If it is advanced gapeworm, it blocks their throat and makes it almost impossible for them to eat or drink. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

dmdhart might be right. she's been getting not enough food for a while if she's that skinny, and that could also explain why her crop is mostly full of water most of the time - it might be the only thing she can get down very well. it's certainly worth a shot.

okay I went to buy safeguard paste for equine. I squirted a small amount down her throat. She hasn't eaten since this morning but her throat seems very full. I gave her some canned cat food and she refused it, I also tried yogurt with the same response. I hope I gave her enough safeguard??? I read the amount should be the size of an eraser. Anyway she is still doing the head tic thing and now has her eyes closed most of the time....definately more closed opened.......please continue to give me feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

If you can get liquid down her with a dropper, try thinning the safeguard and getting it her that way. It might be easier to swallow. I have never overdosed a chicken with this stuff, and have given them huge amounts. I will keep you and your girl in my prayers.

Really you need to look in the mouth and down the throat as much as possible. I hope you see nothing, but be on the lookout for any yellow plaque/cheesy looking stuff. If it is gapeworms you should see those in the throat

Back
Top Bottom